Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Imperial Sequoia Wagon  (Read 2765 times)

teejhanson

• WKC Brave
Imperial Sequoia Wagon
« on: March 23, 2021, 10:31:02 PM »
Hey everyone! I was lucky enough to pick up an imperial sequoia wagon about a week ago. I spent the weekend reading all posts related to this product and all RRR related posts. I wanted to start a post so that I could share my restore progress, but mostly so I could encourage advice and hopefully learn more about the grill. I want to hear your input on how I can achieve the best restore possible. So please, if you have some advice, I want to hear it.

Here’s a bit about the grill I picked up and where I am so far:

This sequoia is an E code copper mist . That dates it to be 1983. In the 1983 catalog, there is no listed imperial sequoia wagon and so I can only assume this was made sometime between 1982 and 1983. The kettle has a one touch system which i find to be unique and interesting. I did my best to save the original, but after several days of frequent pb blaster and gentle pressure, I broke the thumbscrew and was forced to cut the ash sweep bar [emoji58]. The kettle is in above average condition. There are a couple small porcelain pops on the top and bottom and some small flecks of porcelain loss on the bowl.

Today I took most of the cart apart. The boards on the top of the cart were in bad shape, and after a lot of thought I decided to replace the majority of the cart with new California redwood. Tomorrow, I am going to visit the place I purchased my tung oil from, for restoring handles, and get their input on how to refinish the original pieces I am keeping and the best way to finish/preserve the cart.

When I assemble the cart, I plan on using some of the triangle braces, suggested in another post,to help keep the cart rigid and square. I also plan on using finish staples (my cart had staples on the bottom and middle portions but finish nails on the top) to reassemble all boards to the frame pieces.

I am missing the lid holder and the rings on my cart, so if by chance someone has an extra set you are willing to part with, I sure would appreciate it - I know this is a long shot but figured it wouldn’t hurt to put it out there.

So that’s it as of tonight. Thanks to all of you that have previously posted their experiences with similar restores. If anyone has any advice I’d love to hear it! Thanks for reading and good night!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Imperial Sequoia Wagon
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2021, 03:01:05 AM »
Sweet score, probably one of the newest Sequoias in the club, congrats
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2021, 06:07:25 AM »
Congrats, TJ.  You’ve been on a roll! 

Beautiful grill and fun project. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1spacemanspiff

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2021, 07:01:34 AM »
Congrats, TJ.  You’ve been on a roll! 

Beautiful grill and fun project. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Right now you can't stop him, you can only hope to contain him!  Congrats on an awesome score.  I'll looking forward to seeing the progress of the cart.
ISO Yellow Offset SJ, Yellow ranger

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2021, 07:51:00 AM »
You are on fire!

randy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2021, 08:24:10 AM »
Nice!
I’ve never seen a bowl with handles and tabs.

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2021, 08:51:01 AM »
Looks like an awesome project.  Looking forward to seeing your progress!

Jan M.

• WKC Brave
    • Mogschrauber
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2021, 01:52:53 PM »
Wow 🤩 Please share the progress

Best regards,
Jan

Lilyankee

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2021, 05:01:02 PM »
Congratulations and looking forward to your restore updates!

teejhanson

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2021, 06:52:20 PM »
Freshly milled redwood! Stopped by a local wood working shop today and got some great advice on how to refinish/finish the wood. Working on sanding for the next few days...

Crashrat

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2021, 08:37:18 PM »
Nice score! Following your progress on this one

Sent from my SM-N950U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

teejhanson

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2021, 06:54:14 AM »
Well, after hours of sanding, I had the wood looking pretty good for being 40 yrs old. I went to a local woodworking store and got some advice on how to finish the wood. We tried several stains on the new and old wood, and despite trying to stain the new wood to match the old wood color they just looked too different. I decided that it was worth attempting to duplicate the old pieces I had intended on keeping. So yesterday, I went and picked up more redwood and made these pieces. I am really happy with how things turned out, they look nearly identical to the old pieces. I have some more sanding to do, and then I am going to finish the wood with Penofin clear penetrating oil finish. I wanted to share my progress; I am hoping to have the cart done next week. Thanks for reading!

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2021, 07:19:58 AM »
Looking good !!
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

Transit98

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2021, 08:05:24 AM »
What a project- great start with quality materials

Chris-B-Que

• WKC Brave
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2021, 06:52:48 PM »
Awesome find!!!
Do you have the schematics for the cart at all.
Have a mate with a tabbed c code bowl and we are/have been trying to find a sequoia wagon.
May be easier to make one from the original plans etc...

Sent from my SM-G986B using Weber Kettle Club mobile app