Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Picked up a green OTP  (Read 768 times)

FatBottomGrills

• WKC Brave
Picked up a green OTP
« on: January 19, 2021, 11:40:50 AM »
Saw this listed nearby and was lucky enough to add it to the Weber nursery that is growing in my back yard. In overall nice condition. This is a DA code. I think they stopped producing them in the 90s. Are these referred to as one touch performers or one touch platinum? I know lots of you have these in your collections. @Bama kettles has a very nice blue that he restored if I remember correctly.

I've asked before but I'm still honing my restoration skills. What's the most effective way to smooth out vent wheel damage? Not oxidation or rust but small indentations and pits. Maybe it's not possible. I've been seriously impressed with the ability many seem to have with polishing vents/daisy wheels so they look almost new again.
The ash cather and outer one touch assembly as well seem to shine like new.

Thanks guys. Looking forward to many more cooks on this.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Picked up a green OTP
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2021, 11:52:53 AM »
Very nice DA code (2001) you have there!  I like that color of green, and the entire grill appears to be in excellent shape.  As far as the aluminum vents, I've heard about a type of aircraft polish that helps with that.  @AZ2FL sent me a sample of it right before it got cold to try out and I've not tried it yet.  I've had good luck with brillo pads or just plain 000 steel wool too.  Oh and OTP stands for One Touch Platinum which were made in the early 2000s to my knowledge.  They are pretty nice for sure especially if you find one with the table in good shape.  It's pretty easy to restore the tables to new condition as long as they're not cracked.  They also feature SS ash sweeps and the easy operating ash can.  As fate would have it I went and looked at another one today.  It's a DU code that was maybe used once.  Yeah, it's now in the truck.......

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2021, 12:04:50 PM »
Grate score, she should clean up nicely
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

FatBottomGrills

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2021, 12:11:42 PM »
Thanks, I think he may have mentioned the same product to me at one point. Glad you rescued a gem. I saw that post, looks brand new! I remember your first blue OTP as well and I didn't know that the ash sweeps were SS. Mine don't move across the bottom of the bowl very well, they seem to be dragging. Shouldn't be to tough to fix that. I'll get working on it soon and post some pics.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2021, 01:16:49 PM »
Sweet greenie!  The lid looks perfect.

AZ2FL

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2021, 02:31:58 PM »
@FatBottomGrills
Nice score and clean up. It’s not caddywampus .... cheers

Supra 90 Aircraft polish works great for polishing aluminum.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B075T2NBHB?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

@bamakettles
Nice score, did you agent for Mike?

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2021, 02:44:03 PM »

@FatBottomGrills
Nice score and clean up. It’s not caddywampus .... cheers

Supra 90 Aircraft polish works great for polishing aluminum.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B075T2NBHB?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

@bamakettles
Nice score, did you agent for Mike?
No, he was tempted but held off for now.  More willpower than I!

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club