Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: So, is black the new red?  (Read 7735 times)

Duke

• The Duke
So, is black the new red?
« on: June 27, 2013, 08:32:19 AM »
Now that Weber collectability has been recognized all over the USA the colored grills have become really hard to come by. I am seeing black kettles being recognized, especially the faded blacks. Weber doesn't make a decent red to replace the original yet, so many have taken to black because it looks nice with red accents. What are your thoughts?

Here are a couple I just cleaned up.

vader06

• WKC Ranger
Re: So, is black the new red?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2013, 08:36:37 AM »
Very nice!  Once you go black you never go back.
Genesis Gold B, 18" WSM, 18" Yellow, 22" Blue OTG, 22" Lime MBH, 22"  Black SJ, Black Jumbo Joe Platinum and Red 22" LE.

MartyG

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2013, 08:38:32 AM »
Aww crap, now I have to go and find another niche! Stay away from black everyone, it's really hard to keep clean, shows fingerprints, looks like hell in photographs, and is worthless when it comes time to sell 'em. Dime a dozen I say! Dime a dozen!

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2013, 08:39:23 AM »
Sharp!! 8)

Until recently, my appreciation for the black kettles was little to non existent. They seemed like a dime a dozen. But seeing all the cool things you can do with these like the wood handles look great against the black, red wheels, and all the custom work one can do, they are quite appealing. I love the MBH/MLH black kettles especially. The grey fade is sharp too and you can play with the color by giving it a rub down of oil and have a different color kettle for a while and watch it re grey. It's fun!

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2013, 08:54:06 AM »
Sharp!! 8)

Until recently, my appreciation for the black kettles was little to non existent. They seemed like a dime a dozen. But seeing all the cool things you can do with these like the wood handles look great against the black, red wheels, and all the custom work one can do, they are quite appealing. I love the MBH/MLH black kettles especially. The grey fade is sharp too and you can play with the color by giving it a rub down of oil and have a different color kettle for a while and watch it re grey. It's fun!

Black kettles ARE a dime a dozen but they still look great. Especially when well kept or well patinad. Wood handles really set them off too.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2013, 08:57:10 AM »
Black brings out creativity in trying to figure out how to add attractive color accents. I wonder what a red stained handle would look like?

zorknards2

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2013, 09:16:34 AM »
I have to admit that I love my black grills my 3brnr gasser my 18.5 my 1956 chicago I have had a chance to ad color which I have a blue platinum it sets itself apart from the blacks however I am not as fortunate In my state to get color they don't come up often.

so is black the new red no it is black and I love my collection . and speaking of that I just picked up anotber black a mid 70's metal handle 3 wheeler
i almost have all my grails but waiting for that yellow to miraculously appear maybe in ny.

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2013, 11:52:30 AM »
I have to admit that I love my black grills my 3brnr gasser my 18.5 my 1956 chicago I have had a chance to ad color which I have a blue platinum it sets itself apart from the blacks however I am not as fortunate In my state to get color they don't come up often.

so is black the new red no it is black and I love my collection . and speaking of that I just picked up anotber black a mid 70's metal handle 3 wheeler
Do you prefer black over red like Marty?

HankB

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2013, 01:59:23 PM »
Colors are very cool, but they all cook just as well despite claims to the contrary. For some of the cookers like the smokey mountains there seems to be no other color choice.

An added benefit is if your collection is mostly black, you can always slip another into the crowd without SWMBO noticing.  ;D
kettles, smokers...

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2013, 02:00:57 PM »
Colors are very cool, but they all cook just as well despite claims to the contrary. For some of the cookers like the smokey mountains there seems to be no other color choice.

An added benefit is if your collection is mostly black, you can always slip another into the crowd without SWMBO noticing.  ;D
Hearesy!!! ;D ;D ;D
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

zorknards2

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2013, 02:07:53 PM »
I would like to own a nice red for my collection however they don't pop up often and if they do they aren't in great shape.  so as of now I will say I prefer the blacks. because you have to love what you own.
i almost have all my grails but waiting for that yellow to miraculously appear maybe in ny.

javahog2002

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2013, 02:12:17 PM »
Duke those black webers look great.  My first  Weber was a free black SS performer.  I do like my black smokey joe, wga and wsm mini.  However, duke I will not trade you my 18.5 red or my Red MT for either of your Black Webers.  Red is still. Red !!!
« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 02:14:33 PM by javahog2002 »
SSP '00-WSM 18.5-WSM 22.0-'90 MT-Hasty Bake Cado

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2013, 02:33:54 PM »

Hearesy!!! ;D ;D ;D

Please Note: the hi-lite is in RED.....I realize this is bordering on the"Which color Thremapen is the Fastest?" arguement, but gee whiz....I thought EVERYONE knew food (the exact same, identical food) that's cooked on a Redhead just simply tastes better than the exact same, identical food cooked on any other color......

which then begs the question: If Black is indeed the "New Red",  could this possibly then Change The Dynamic?
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

skimmah

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2013, 03:07:09 PM »
Where did you get the wheels ?? Your grills look GREAT !!

HankB

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2013, 03:27:35 PM »
... but they all cook just as well despite claims to the contrary.
Hearesy!!! ;D ;D ;D
Fact! ;D
kettles, smokers...