Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: 26er help  (Read 3615 times)

fedex

• WKC Ranger
26er help
« on: June 27, 2013, 02:55:48 AM »

My question is, are the legs on the 26 the same length as on the 22?  I found this on CL a couple years ago and it was a mess.  I did alot of work to get this one up an running.  But everytime I use it, it just seems wobbley (Is that a Word) and un stable.  I also just seems alittle short  Thanks for any input.
1 Black Limited Edition Kettle & Wife Model #1962

MartyG

• WKC Performer
Re: 26er help
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2013, 03:24:48 AM »
What's the distance from ground to the bottom edge of the lid? Mine is 30". (or, ground to center of the handle = 29.5")

fedex

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2013, 05:32:36 AM »

This is the Before.

dazzo

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2013, 05:49:14 AM »
I've got no advice for you, but good work on the rescue!   8)

Dude, relax your chicken.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2013, 06:52:00 AM »

fedex, glad you were able to find a 26'er....much fewer & farther between than the regular items.....

The height question I don't know about, but being maybe the resident expert on how to milk a bunch more out of an entirely beat-to-shit kettle, I think the wobbly part may very well be that the welds on the leg sockets are beginning to loosen & might eventually give out......
I've fixed some of these, but have none currently around that I can show pics of......

the fix, if you decide this is it after investigating more, is to either JB Weld them to solidify & shore up....or, to drill a small hole in the weld tabs & shoot a short sheet metal screw up into the bowl.....either will work, I've had the best result with the screws.....

Stabilize the leg sockets, the legs are stable..... ;D
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2013, 06:57:31 AM »
Hey you did a nice job on the kettle! I'll chime in and tell you to get wooden handles before Zavod does.

If the welds look good it may be because the tubes fit loose. You can prob check this by flipping the kettle over and wiggling the legs to see where the shake is coming from. You can expand the tubes for a better fit or shim them somehow if that's the case.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2013, 08:08:30 AM »
You did a good job on cleaning that up.  Are those legs OEM?
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

Cookingmama

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2013, 08:35:31 AM »

This is the Before.

Is it the lighting or did it fall on its head?  The lid looks sunken in. 
ribs pre-boiling & reaching for the lighter fluid!

fedex

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2013, 03:36:51 PM »

This is the Before.

Is it the lighting or did it fall on its head?  The lid looks sunken in.
[/quote

Not The Lighting, Had A Huge Dent On The Top And A Couple On The Bowl.  I Used A Rubber Mallet TO punch ThEm Out..  The Dents Popped Out Pretty Clean.

fedex

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2013, 09:29:41 PM »
You did a good job on cleaning that up.  Are those legs OEM?

Yes, they are original.  I just painted them because I didn't feel like polishing them.  I thought they turned out pretty cool.

javahog2002

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2013, 09:49:52 PM »
Hey you did a nice job on the kettle! I'll chime in and tell you to get wooden handles before Zavod does.

If the welds look good it may be because the tubes fit loose. You can prob check this by flipping the kettle over and wiggling the legs to see where the shake is coming from. You can expand the tubes for a better fit or shim them somehow if that's the case.

I have few with the same issue.  Tried to expand the tubes with not much luck.  Any suggestions on how to expand them ?

I am guessing it is a bad idea to try tighten the leg sockets by squeezing them with vice grips.  Probably will crack some welds.

You did a great job of fixing that lid.  I can't tell there was a huge dent near the handle.   Wow !!!!!!!!!!!
SSP '00-WSM 18.5-WSM 22.0-'90 MT-Hasty Bake Cado

Tim in PA

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2013, 03:09:42 AM »

I have few with the same issue.  Tried to expand the tubes with not much luck.  Any suggestions on how to expand them ?

I am guessing it is a bad idea to try tighten the leg sockets by squeezing them with vice grips.  Probably will crack some welds.

You did a great job of fixing that lid.  I can't tell there was a huge dent near the handle.   Wow !!!!!!!!!!!

The OTG that I picked up is also loose. I'm thinking I'd just put a little bit of tape of some sort around the leg where it goes into the socket. I'm thinking that should help wedge it in there better.
-2012 Black Performer-2006 Green OTG-2009 Q Gasser-