Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: SS Performer Rescue Help  (Read 601 times)

jduganjr

• Happy Cooker
SS Performer Rescue Help
« on: July 21, 2020, 06:08:07 AM »
I just picked up a Stainless Steel Performer from, I think, 2005 for free on Next Door. It is in really bad shape. I already have a SS Performer and was hoping to either fully rehab it for my brother or, at the very least, harvest some parts for future use on my SS.

The kettle itself is shot with rust as is the lid...this is what made me almost not take it. Almost everything would need to be replaced with the exception of the frame. Even that has problems. One of the bottom cross braces fell off as I was loading it in my car.

New to the club, and I am sure that there is a thread that I can find that would help me.

Just wondering what I am getting into and if this is even possible...should I call Weber and inquire about what is available and price it all out?

I am happy to post pictures. Wondering about how to sure up the frame and fix the cross brace situation. The whole thing is rickety. Need to replace kettle and lid, and gas assist. Love the SS Weber, but this may be too much!

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
Re: SS Performer Rescue Help
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2020, 06:29:17 AM »
Take and post some pictures of what you are working with.  Many here have rehabbed an SSP.  At the very least you might need some paint and fresh hardware. At its worst you might need to find some replacement square tube steel or have someone do a little welding.  You would be surprised what can be done to make it workable. 

Weber will likely not have much in terms of parts and what they do will he pricey.  It will probably be cheaper to find a parts grill or use the existing grill for parts.

If you dont care about the kettle being black then many here can likely get you a replacement cheaply or even for free.  Hell I have one just sitting in the yard I would probably give someone if they were local.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

ISO: 18" & 22" Lime, 22" Cado, Plum SSP, Clean & Colored 18" for Midget Mod, and the usual Grails.

jduganjr

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2020, 06:32:43 AM »
Ok. I will take some pics. Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

jduganjr

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2020, 06:53:35 AM »
Here are some pics

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2020, 07:07:26 AM »
Hello and welcome, plenty of life left in that SSP.  Here’s a link to the star nuts to fix the bottom cross member. 

https://www.mcmaster.com/94290A550/

DrewZ

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2020, 08:06:13 AM »
These are what I ordered to fix the cross-pieces on my Genesis Jr.  They look like the same size on my SSP

https://www.mcmaster.com/2417T27/

Drew Z.
70th Anniversary-SSP, A-Code GA, Snap On GA, Blue 18" OTG, Eagles SJ, 18" Tuck-N-Carry Midget, 3-burner Genny Jr., S-320

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2020, 08:16:43 AM »
1.) Completely disassemble.  Have an angle grinder and a cut off wheel handy because sometimes the bolts and nuts are just rusted together permanently.
2.) Remove as much rust as possible from the frame and parts.  You can do this physically, with electrolysis, or some evaporust.  Whatever you use, be ready to paint soon after so it doesn't rust again. 
3.) Do whatever prep you want to do and then paint with a good rattle can paint. 
4.) Use the replacement hardware above along with SS nuts, bolts, and washers where ever possible. 
5.) Us the bowl that is with it for now just to get by.  Do your best to clean it up, but I would replace it when I found a decent deal on a bowl and lid. 
ISO: 18" & 22" Lime, 22" Cado, Plum SSP, Clean & Colored 18" for Midget Mod, and the usual Grails.

jduganjr

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2020, 08:23:15 AM »
Thank you!!