Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Summit Grilling Center  (Read 1077 times)

Ashley Coalburn

• WKC Brave
Summit Grilling Center
« on: June 02, 2020, 07:08:35 AM »
I keep looking at this grill. The video on BBQGuys is hard to ignore. I have everything I need for cooking, but these things aren't usually about 'need'. I am very interested in the long cook times, but the two level charcoal grate is a really nice feature. Well...heck, it's full of nice features!

To those of you using one, do you find it has supplanted your other cookers? I am short on storage and would likely need to give up something. I don't think I could part with my H Kettle, just for sentimental reasons. The Genny could go I suppose.

Those of you using the Summit or Performers, does the charcoal starter really work that quickly? Weber says 7 minutes, the review at Amazing Ribs says 7-10. If it's really that fast then it would negate the need for gas, which is really the only reason I use gas, it's quick after a day at work.

Thoughts? Ideas? Alternatives? Don't really want a BGE. 

tibas92017

• WKC Brave
Re: Summit Grilling Center
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2020, 07:48:42 AM »
Last January I purchased new the Weber Performer Deluxe(WPD) which has the propane charcoal ingnitor and a spacious attached metal table and was a game changer. In fact, to make room for my WPD I gifted my excellent three(3) year old 22" Weber Mastertouch Grill to my friend and neighbor. So, as of this date I remain a very happy Weber Customer!
« Last Edit: June 02, 2020, 07:51:03 AM by tibas92017 »

Ashley Coalburn

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2020, 07:54:03 AM »
Thanks. Can you provide some insight as to charcoal lighting times, per my question? The speed of that system could make or break this for me.

tibas92017

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2020, 08:24:42 AM »
Thanks. Can you provide some insight as to charcoal lighting times, per my question? The speed of that system could make or break this for me.

The ignitor is turned-off after around five(5) minutes and a Full Weber Chimney amount is fully lit around additional twenty(20) minutes.

NotPinnock

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2020, 05:50:23 PM »

Depending on what you’re cooking and how many coals you need, the propane igniter system can have your coals ready for a cook in the 7-10 minutes as advertised for your normal weekend dinner.

If you’re doing a long smoke and have a whole chimney of coals it’s probably closer to 15-20.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

Kain

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2020, 10:22:50 PM »
I don’t have the gas assist on my Summit (stupid Australian regulation) but can be cooking in about 7 to 10 minutes with either style of cooking. I have a Pro Q chimney and that thing rocks. It’s a lot of money a Summit but totally worth every cent. Hope this helps & happy grilling

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

Ashley Coalburn

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2020, 03:27:50 AM »
Thanks guys. Not sure if it helps or hurts...(my wallet!) It's kind of tough to find a bad word about this grill.

tibas92017

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2020, 06:33:28 AM »
Regarding the Weber Summit; I would buy one in a minute if I had the "moola". The price of this unit with the SS Table will cost around two-thousand five hundred dollars($2500) here in Costa Rica and my WPD bought in Costa Rica set-me-back five hundred fifty dollars($550).
« Last Edit: June 03, 2020, 07:06:27 AM by tibas92017 »

Mike Huff

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2020, 09:05:16 AM »
How about the cost of meat? Any cheaper down there?
Regarding the Weber Summit; I would buy one in a minute if I had the "moola". The price of this unit with the SS Table will cost around two-thousand five hundred dollars($2500) here in Costa Rica and my WPD bought in Costa Rica set-me-back five hundred fifty dollars($550).

Sent from my SM-G965U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

tibas92017

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2020, 08:24:30 AM »
As-of-this-date good quality meat is readily available at reasonable prices here in the San Jose Area. Last week I bought one Kilo(2.2lbs) of a "Churrasco" cut of beef to cook on my Weber Kettle for around fifteen($15) dollars. We also have readily available  good quality pork cuts and chorizos at reasonable prices.

Of note, we have many "Cosco" Membership type of Supermarket called "PriceSmart" which sell American-Type cuts of beef and pork at reasonable prices. The PriceSmart Headquarters is located in San Diego, CA.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2020, 08:26:28 AM by tibas92017 »