Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Cast iron grill grate  (Read 521 times)

MaikelWeber

• Happy Cooker
Cast iron grill grate
« on: June 04, 2020, 10:06:12 AM »
Hi,

Next I will replace the grill grate by a cast iron one, I see lots of how to's regarding the maintenance of these grates and how to prepare them for the first grill session, how did you folks took care of that?

Hope to learn from you

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
Re: Cast iron grill grate
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2020, 04:03:58 PM »
I can only comment on Craycort’s cast iron grates and must say I really love them.  They’ll be the last set of grates I’ll ever need to buy, but yes, maintenance is a factor albeit minimal with frequent use.  Although they’re pre-seasoned, I suppose a little extra oil and a little longer pre-heat for the inaugural cook couldn’t hurt.  With frequent use, the grates will naturally season themselves over time from the oils in your food.  I do make a conscious effort to both flip and rotate my quarter sections between the indirect and direct side every few cooks.  My cleaning ritual after each cook simply entails cleaning with a wood scraper over heat and then moving all the sections to an indirect side while I shut down my kettle.

I am dying to try their new porcelain enameled grates, but my originals are still in such grate shape, I can’t justify buying another set.... yet....

(I confirmed with Rolf @Craycorts they’ll be doing another Father’s Day sale)🤞

MaikelWeber

• Happy Cooker
Re: Cast iron grill grate
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2020, 10:01:39 PM »
Thanks! This is very useful for me

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Weber Kettle Club mobile app