Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Baked Potato advice  (Read 1301 times)

terryhinsb

• Happy Cooker
Baked Potato advice
« on: May 30, 2020, 07:24:55 PM »
Hello WKC!

New member here, and my first charcoal grill is being delivered tomorrow.  One of the skills I want to learn is how to make A+ baked potatoes in the kettle. 

I'll be using the bins that hold the coals to the side.  Unless I hear a better suggestion here, my plan is to use a fork to poke a bunch of holes in the potatoes, maybe coat with olive oil, then wrap in two layers of foil.  I'm going to set one potato right in the coals of each bin, and turn them at like 25 minutes.

Does that sound right?  Any tips would be gladly accepted!

Thanks,  Terry

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
Re: Baked Potato advice
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2020, 05:35:34 AM »

Welcome!

I like to use a nice sized Russet potato. Usually multiples get done...
A light coating of EVOO and sprinkled with Kosher salt.
I do NOT use foil. Into the kettle and I try to maintain 375-425℉ for at least an hour.
Then poke with a toothpick and it should just glide in and out with no effort.
I prefer this method as the skin gets nice and crispy and there is really no need to add extra salt come dinner time.
YMMV
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

terryhinsb

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2020, 06:39:35 AM »
crispy skin is the Best!!

ok I'm going to try it without foil.

Thanks!

bbqking01

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2020, 08:45:40 AM »
I recommend rub with real salted butter wrap in foil, set indirect for one hour then check with toothpick, to see if done. If you eat the skin...we do, so.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

Kneab

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2020, 09:04:19 AM »
+1 on this
Sometimes we substitute the kosher salt with Weber Kickin' Chicken seasoning. Makes tasty skins.

Welcome!

I like to use a nice sized Russet potato. Usually multiples get done...
A light coating of EVOO and sprinkled with Kosher salt.
I do NOT use foil. Into the kettle and I try to maintain 375-425℉ for at least an hour.
Then poke with a toothpick and it should just glide in and out with no effort.
I prefer this method as the skin gets nice and crispy and there is really no need to add extra salt come dinner time.
YMMV

Sent from my SM-G960U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: May 31, 2020, 09:07:06 AM by Kneab »
ISO Brown Go Anywhere

terryhinsb

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2020, 10:05:03 AM »
Thanks for all the feedback!

Ashley Coalburn

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2020, 10:19:02 AM »
One thing I never see as a suggestion is internal temperature. A long time ago I read an article on potatoes and cooking. One point they made is that when cooking meat, we go for an internal temp, so why not taters too? I can't recall where that was, or I'd post a link. Anyway, pick your recipe and method based on the excellent advice above, but cook to an internal temp of 212F. I've done this exclusively since I read that article and have never suffered a failure. The texture is perfect.

I'm also in the crispy skin camp. When I was a kid we'd hollow out the baked tater and load the skin with butter, salt, and pepper and make tater skin boats. This was around 1965, so a bit ahead of TGI Friday's!