Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Help with new master touch  (Read 1294 times)

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Help with new master touch
« on: May 15, 2020, 06:34:01 AM »
My friend just ordered this grill from Home Depot. It’s his first ever charcoal grill so I came over to help him get started. He is mechanically inclined and already had it put together correctly.

I noticed right away that the lid rim was chipped and dented and he said it came that way. But the main problem is that the lid is extremely ill fitting. I advised him to call customer service so hopefully he will get a new lid but just for fun I tried to hug it into fitting properly. No luck at all. It seems to be warped like a banana. When laid on flat ground it rocks like a rocking chair. Has anyone ran into that before?

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Help with new master touch
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2020, 06:34:45 AM »
And yes it’s blue. It’s really a beautiful grill.

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2020, 07:21:46 AM »
Brand new out of the box chipped and dented lid rim is a good indication that the box got dropped on the side. Good chance the bowl is also out of round. I have seen both new and used kettles with this issue and have been able to resolve the problem in most cases. Use a good round bowl and a lid as a guide. Also, good level flat surface to see if it rocks as you have already tried, and measuring tape to check roundness is very important.

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2020, 07:22:33 AM »
I have yet to get a new grill from WEBER with damage, but I have got plenty of vintage ones arrive mangled. I am sure they will take care of your friend
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2020, 07:33:23 AM »
Once you determine where it needs to be pulled or pushed. Do it in small increments checking for roundness. You should be able to get it real close.

Check the bowl over carefully. It may have some damage as well. In that case, you should get both new from Weber.  You can than send me the old damaged lid and a bowl to me as that color is only MT missing from my collection.  ;D

Filibuster

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2020, 11:23:54 AM »
   Dining room table or coffee table before concrete ground

Sent from my SM-J700P using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Radio station WEFUNK 50,000 kilowatts of PFUNK power.

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2020, 12:08:53 PM »
Why not just take it back to home depot for an exchange?

MadGasser

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2020, 04:12:00 PM »
Call Weber and they'll warranty it. No sense in trying to fix a brand new grill.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2020, 04:26:38 PM »

Why not just take it back to home depot for an exchange?

It was ordered through Home Depot but they do not stock colors. Probably direct shipped?  Not sure.

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2020, 05:53:55 PM »
Definitely damaged during shipping.
I like my bowls/lids to be round within 1/8"  so i clamp them down. Longest i had clamped a lid was over 2 weeks. Bear hugging the lid can cause vertical microfractures at the lip.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Help with new master touch
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2020, 05:52:45 PM »
Brand new out of the box chipped and dented lid rim is a good indication that the box got dropped on the side. Good chance the bowl is also out of round. I have seen both new and used kettles with this issue and have been able to resolve the problem in most cases. Use a good round bowl and a lid as a guide. Also, good level flat surface to see if it rocks as you have already tried, and measuring tape to check roundness is very important.

He finally got his warranty lid but it was definitely the bowl. I didn’t measure last time but the bowl was out of round a half inch. The original lid was chipped so it needed replaced anyway. I gave the bowl a couple hugs and it was back in business. Thank you for the tips. Measuring is the key. The lid seemed to be happiest at 23” measured both ways and bowl 22.5.

The new master touches are super cool. Wish they made the 26 in colors. I just don’t use a 22 often.

« Last Edit: July 11, 2020, 05:54:33 PM by HoosierKettle »

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2020, 08:58:04 AM »
I have actually been holding out on getting a 26er hoping that they would actually do a color version.  Only thing that might move me to buy one now is a great deal.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

ISO: 18" & 22" Lime, 22" Cado, Plum SSP, Clean & Colored 18" for Midget Mod, and the usual Grails.