Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: First-Time Tri-Tip  (Read 1954 times)

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
First-Time Tri-Tip
« on: September 22, 2013, 05:28:56 PM »
All my California friends are always talking about tri-tip roasts, but my meat source says he never gets 'em.  So I was surprised the other day to see some cryovac-ed tri-tips in the case.  The unfortunate thing was that they were pre-seasoned, but I still needed to give it a try.  There was one that listed 'smoke flavoring' in the ingredients, so I dismissed that one immediately and chose instead the 'Kansas City Style' seasoning.  Which was a little too sweet, but it turned out really tender. 

My setup.

The view over my shoulder.  A beautiful fall sky. 

I reverse-seared the meat, cooking it indirect until it was about 100 internal, then searing it to the finish.  The potatoes were along for the ride on my very useful warming rack (HT: AJ). 

Done, resting.

What the fuss is all about.

The cauliflower was undercooked, but that beef was amazing.
One of the charcoal people.

landgraftj

• WKC Performer
Re: First-Time Tri-Tip
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2013, 05:46:30 PM »
Love it Mike. I have 7 tritip in my freezer right now. Butcher packages them in 20lb cryovac and I just bag em  up and put em in the freezer. Love the red JJ and the warming rack. I really need to find a warming rack soon.
Not everyone deserves to know the real you. Let them criticize who they think you are.

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2013, 06:06:49 PM »
Looks great Mike!  It was a great day for tri tip.

Chasing_smoke

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2013, 09:12:11 PM »
Great cook mike!

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 2

MH Copper mist, Daisy Wheel P, Homer Simpson OTG, Blue 18, Blue Mastertouch, SJS, Genesis Sliver B, Red 18 Bar-b-q-kettle Pat Pending, Copper performer

kendoll

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2013, 09:50:51 PM »
Love it Mike. I have 7 tritip in my freezer right now. Butcher packages them in 20lb cryovac and I just bag em  up and put em in the freezer. Love the red JJ and the warming rack. I really need to find a warming rack soon.

The way your luck has been going lately you'll find one with a yellow attached to it. ;D

Oh, and great tri-tip Mike!  :D

Ken
Willing to trade first born for: *Ranger (any colour) *Westerner (yeah right)

*Imperial (Glen-Blue) *Brown GA

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2013, 09:16:44 AM »

The way your luck has been going lately you'll find one with a yellow attached to it. ;D

Ken

I know!  Terry is living so large that he prolly uses tri-tips as packaging to cushion his cargo when he does kettle pick-ups!
One of the charcoal people.

landgraftj

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2013, 12:24:05 PM »
Mike- I use Waygu beef to pack my kettles. :)

Ken - I wish I could find a yellow 22...that's one of the few that has eluded me!
Not everyone deserves to know the real you. Let them criticize who they think you are.

kendoll

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2013, 03:24:55 PM »
Ken - I wish I could find a yellow 22...that's one of the few that has eluded me!

Yeah, I have a similar problem, it is one of the many that have eluded me. ;)

Ken
Willing to trade first born for: *Ranger (any colour) *Westerner (yeah right)

*Imperial (Glen-Blue) *Brown GA

Joethebartender

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2013, 03:00:47 AM »
I guess Tri-tip is rare in VA too.  I sometimes see it here in the supermarket as "tip sirloin".  I will be buying one and trying this next time. 

There are too many people doing it so well that it has to be that good. 

Great post!