Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: What part of an apple tree for smoking?  (Read 894 times)

Tallbald

• Smokey Joe
What part of an apple tree for smoking?
« on: May 09, 2020, 09:02:52 AM »
This coming week, a small apple tree (semi-dwarf?) is coming down at a friends. He's offered the entire tree to me for whatever I like. I'm a wood turner and will choose first for a few small bowls. But the rest will be cut and chunked for smoking.
No pesticides have ever been sprayed on the tree. Some parts are diseased.
 Having only used a wood fired offset before, wherein the entire slab is used, I find myself unsure what apple wood parts are good for flavor smoking on my Weber Kettle. Is the bark a flavor yielding part? Only heartwood or sap wood?
Thank you all. I wasn't able to locate online an answer before posting here.
Don

Cellar2ful

Re: What part of an apple tree for smoking?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2020, 12:15:59 PM »

Apple is my favorite and most used wood when smoking or BBQing. I source my apple wood from neighbors when they trim or take down apple trees.  I use everything except for the root base and twigs.  I even used twigs one time by cutting them in 5 inch lengths, then bundling them with string.  They worked great but were just to much work IMHO.  Now I use branches 1/2" and larger, cut in 5" lengths.  I dry my wood for at least 1 year before using.  The trunk I cut in 4" to 5" rounds and then split them into smoking chunks with a hand axe when dry. 
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

Tallbald

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2020, 12:28:57 PM »
Excellent ! Thank you or the education.
As a side note, the same friend texted me after I posted and said he also has a weeping cherry I'm welcome to. But as an ornamental rather than fruit bearing  tree I'm wondering if it's a viable smoking wood. To date I've been using black cherry scraps from our wood shop. I need to Google this.
Again I offer you my sincere thanks. Don

Cellar2ful

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2020, 12:34:15 PM »
I have used cherry tree wood before.  Very similar to apple. Mine was from a fruit bearing cherry tree but I don't see why an ornamental cherry tree would be any different.  The bark on both trees look the same.  The price is right. I would take it and try it. 

I would discard any parts of the apple tree that are diseased or feel lighter than than normal.  It will also feel spongy to the touch. Those parts can have mold and probably not the best thing to be smoking/transferring onto your food.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2020, 12:37:32 PM by Cellar2ful »
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2020, 02:44:30 PM »
I was going to be a smart ass and say.......the wood. Some nice replies here. Peach is my favorite smoke wood, then pecan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2020, 03:24:26 PM »
I've seen an apple itself used, but it was for a different sort of smoking.   ;D
regards,
Hal

Tallbald

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2020, 02:47:44 PM »
Grin! Thanks again friends. I believe I'll take both apple and weeping cherry and sticker them as splits for drying a while. Free wood is priced right for sure. Don

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2020, 02:53:16 PM »
Thanks for sharing, Jim.  Always very insightful.