Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Weber 26 - Amount of Charcoal? (Noob help)  (Read 942 times)

DougWilsonsSlapper

• WKC Brave
Weber 26 - Amount of Charcoal? (Noob help)
« on: May 14, 2020, 10:06:26 AM »
Hi all -

Charcoal noobie (but soon to be enthusiast) here.  Just got my Weber 26.  I'm trying to understand how much extra charcoal one needs to add for the 26 vs the 22.

Almost all online videos, tips and instructions are about the 22" Kettle.   So, when searing steaks (for instance) on a 22" calls for 3/4 of a chimney to be full, or grilling chicken thighs is 1/2 a chimney on a 22", do I do a full chimney and 3/4 chimney (respectively) on the 26"?   

What about when a recipe calls for a full chimney on the 22?  Then what on the 26"?

THANK YOU!!! I will keep these questions to a minimum.

WildonionAB

• WKC Brave
Re: Weber 26 - Amount of Charcoal? (Noob help)
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2020, 11:37:50 AM »
Unless you have a massive amount of meat to grill at once just pour a full chimney in and bank it towards one side.  I use my SlownSear for doing those tasks with a full chimney

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

DougWilsonsSlapper

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2020, 11:40:18 AM »
Unless you have a massive amount of meat to grill at once just pour a full chimney in and bank it towards one side.  I use my SlownSear for doing those tasks with a full chimney

Thanks! IF you had to heat up more charcoal than the capacity of the chimney, would you heat the chimney, dump the coal into the kettle and then add more coal to the kettle?  Just trying to understand that scenario.

You use a regular size SnS right?

WildonionAB

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2020, 12:47:15 PM »
If I had need for more than yes I would just add unlit coals on top and then give a few min for it to lit up.

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2020, 05:49:16 PM »
You could always dump in a whole bag of lump and fire it up, bank the fire and see if you can get the bowl glowing red hot!!! I ve seen this once and have been trying to do it since with no success.

DougWilsonsSlapper

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2020, 06:03:48 PM »
You could always dump in a whole bag of lump and fire it up, bank the fire and see if you can get the bowl glowing red hot!!! I ve seen this once and have been trying to do it since with no success.

I'll let you know. Lol

jdorn

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2020, 09:39:22 PM »
Darko rules..

Sent from my SM-G955U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Tbagley

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2020, 02:39:15 AM »
Depending on how long my cook time may be, I vary between half to a full and using the baskets/sns/vortex can help with managing your coals.

DougWilsonsSlapper

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2020, 02:55:08 AM »
Depending on how long my cook time may be, I vary between half to a full and using the baskets/sns/vortex can help with managing your coals.

Thanks.  I'll have to live and learn!

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2020, 09:14:21 AM »
3/4-1 chimney. Depends on what you’re cooking and how long. If you’re doing an entire pork loin...1 chimney. A few hamburgers, 3/4 of a chimney. Doesn’t really matter. Shut the vents when you’re done and save what you didn’t burn.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

DougWilsonsSlapper

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2020, 09:18:45 AM »
3/4-1 chimney. Depends on what you’re cooking and how long. If you’re doing an entire pork loin...1 chimney. A few hamburgers, 3/4 of a chimney. Doesn’t really matter. Shut the vents when you’re done and save what you didn’t burn.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
[/quote

Helpful!