Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Adding a Silicone Grommet to a Weber Kettle.  (Read 936 times)

Nickb23

• Happy Cooker
Adding a Silicone Grommet to a Weber Kettle.
« on: May 01, 2020, 06:12:50 AM »
Hi Guys,
Nick from UK here. I have just got a Weber Master touch Premium (with the hinge) and I am doing my first smoke on it today. Just a small pork shoulder and a chicken.. (through hail, thunder and rain)
I am at the moment using my probe for both smoker temp and meat temp, with the wires dangling between the base and lid - not ideal. I know that people have put the Weber silicone grommet on their kettles, but if I put one on, will I still be able to use my weber as a bbq? Is the temp gonna melt the grommet??

Also my weber came with a small amount of enamel missing inside on one of the things the charcoal grate sits on. Do i need to worry? When lockdown is done, shall i just get a bit of high temp spray paint and cover it??

Thanks in advance...

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2020, 07:17:34 AM »
Hello and welcome. The grommet will not melt if you install one, no worries there.  I like modding my cookers, but honestly, running your wires between the bowl and lid isn’t that big of a deal. 

No do not apply paint to the inside of your kettle, no matter how small.  Just apply a small amount of oil and cook away.  After a few cooks you won’t even notice it. 

Enjoy your new kettle and post pics when you can!  We’re all curious about the new hinge, charcoal ring, and diffuser. 
« Last Edit: May 01, 2020, 07:21:40 AM by Mr.CPHo »

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2020, 08:02:20 AM »
You can also use a stainless cable gland.  Remove  the rubber o-ring and and insert since those aren't rated for high temperatures.

Aluminum foil  can be used to seal the hole while in use.

If you're not using the probes, you can also use aluminum foil or an acorn nut to seal  and prevent air leaks.

dwnthehatch

• WKC Ranger
Re: Adding a Silicone Grommet to a Weber Kettle.
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2020, 09:00:55 AM »
I'm not a fan of the probe hole in my WSM. Fishing the probes through the silicone is a PITA. I resorted to taking a grinder and cut a notch in the rim of the bowl. Less invasive to the kettle and the probes and wires can all come out with the meat. I would never do this to a kettle I care about though.

Lemans

• WKC Ranger
Re: Adding a Silicone Grommet to a Weber Kettle.
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2020, 07:51:11 AM »
I disagree the grommet on the WSM are great you can order them from weber
And get a step drill bit and drill a 1 1/4 hole and you are set
I can't stop lovin my Weber!!!
2-22 WSM, 22.5 gold, 22.5 MT code EE Red Head ,22.5 AH in Green ,18 silver , Green SSP code EI,Weber Ranch,mini WSM black,4-smokey joes black, lime, copper, crimson Sjg  IQ120 electric 22.5 silver economy 2004..that makes 15. I know WEBERITIS !!

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2020, 07:14:13 AM »
I really like the silicone grommet on my WSM.  I did install a cable gland on the 2006 daily driver and it works great too.....