Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Basic Question  (Read 1285 times)

putoluto

• WKC Brave
Basic Question
« on: April 29, 2020, 04:05:14 AM »
Basic Question:
Best and simplest way to cook burgers and dogs for a group at a summer party, how do you prefer to do it?

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Basic Question
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2020, 04:26:26 AM »
Are we allowed to have summer parties lol. Personally I get frozen burgers and beef hot dogs from Gordon’s.

If using a kettle, i just spread the coal out evenly and cook direct. I leave a small area in front with no coal so I have a place to move stuff around if I get a little flare up.

A kettle is nice because the lid will keep flare ups at bay.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: April 29, 2020, 04:28:03 AM by HoosierKettle »

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Basic Question
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2020, 07:39:03 AM »
Agree with Hoosier...... I've tried slow and sear on burgers and they seem to take on too much of a wood taste to me.  Direct over the coals, but not too hot using the damper vents to keep the temps at bay.  For hot dogs the same, just keep em moving so you don't burn them.

bbqking01

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2020, 08:29:11 AM »
Just me but I mostly use my gasser to do burgers and dogs. But...everything taste better over charcoal. And if you use lump it does smoke more than charcoal. It’s up to you. When using gasser, I always have water with me to tame a flare up if it should happen. Seems to me ground chuck works best for burgers, oh and Nathan’s or Hebrew national, are good dogs. Or Jonsonville brauts

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

powermatt99

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2020, 04:13:24 PM »
Ranch Kettle of course.

randy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2020, 04:50:07 PM »
What tools do you have available? During the summer we usually have a party every week in the hood, we rotate houses as do cooking styles. I’m a couple kettle kind of guy and a gasser to assist on side dishes.

SMOKE FREAK

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2020, 05:29:24 PM »
Sliced smoked cheddar on top...Sometimes smoked pepper jack...

Most important...

LiquidOcelot

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2020, 07:26:45 PM »
I get a 5lb tube of burger meat per like 10 people and anything but bar-s hotdogs.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2020, 05:35:29 PM »
Depends on the number of people.

If it’s like 6-10 I don’t mind making patties, but if it’s for a block party I’ll use Costco frozen chuck or sirloin patties. Want bigger burgers? Double the patties. Jazz up the buns and great toppings will elevate them.

Hot dogs? Heat them indirect. Pretty hard to screw them up. Piedmontese if I’m trying to impress. Otherwise Nathan’s or Ballpark Prime Dogs are good.