Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Never done anything like this before; best course of action? Pt 2~ Tag team !!!  (Read 1970 times)

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
This picks up at the end of addicted-to-smoke's tremendous real time accounting of his pork cook, I was inspired to continue on............

~~~~let's pick up where we left off in part one....I strongly suggest somebody begin prep on a / some pork butt(s) so we can keep this relay race going.................. 8)

Was going to put the beans in at midnite / 12:30, but these were running a bit high heat (275 ~285) & I remembered the pintos I've been using lately will overcook & go mushy if run too long.....

The Lazzari briqettes I got are very small, nice smell, but burned pretty quick....1:30 AM (this is way more futzing than usual), closed down vents on both cookers 1/4" on OT's & one daisy open on the 3-wheel..................drop to approx. 235.........

FF to 4AM......beans in.........
(here's where the charcoal stood, so added another arc of briquettes, then beans......)

In the 5 minutes it takes to do this, therm drops to "0".....no freaking out, the pork's still bubbling hot....

Back to the freeway.....

Sleep awhile, 8:15AM.....
almost will separate.............

Extra bark from the crowning, it buckles up & adds surface.....

Because of the up & down in temp, I feel the bark is a little dry & will add some mojo cirillo at the foil wrapping, maybe keep them on the cooker for a short bit before towel / cooler for the rest......

Who's Next?
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador

Who's Next?   

Nobody wants to tag in & start a pork cook using their methods / style?

****start off a cook here & start another thread for the ending......then "Tag Out"

Chasing_smoke

• WKC Ranger
I would love to tag in, I just don't have any shoulder here to get started!

"my kettle is more powerful it will do almost anything."
MH Copper mist, Daisy Wheel P, Homer Simpson OTG, Blue 18, Blue Mastertouch, SJS, Genesis Sliver B, Red 18 Bar-b-q-kettle Pat Pending, Copper performer

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
OK lemme see if I understand. The ring keep things going longer and probably more consistently. Your temp was higher than mine and the cook was longer but the meat's also bigger (mine was 3lbs ... or perhaps only the TIME difference is what's important there?)

So was that 3-4 rows of coals, about 80% snaked around to start? And then the fire was essentially out by 4am, you added more to the snake and got that wedge-shaped wood started, emptied the wasn't-a-drip pan and put beans in it, after meat had supposedly already given up most drippings?
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
Yeah, you're all about right on eveything.......

Fire wasn't out, just getting to the end of the chain, briquettes were Lazzari, very small & very round, so they weren't really stacked in neat rows or anything, just however they would sort of line up & remain in contact.......they burned pretty fast & so the add-in became nesscessary.......
Previous estimates on a lot of the older posts were based on Stubb''s briquettes, or Kingsford with Wicked or other lump pieces added in.........both were adjustable to burn slower & use less....I'm really pissed I can't find Stubb's anywhere in town....tried all suggestions from here & elsewhere & it just don't happen....
butts were not quite 8# each, so a  1st impression guess would be approx. 8~10 hrs, as always......depending.....the meat, the weather, the charcoal, the burn, the rotation of the Earth (pork should always burn counter-clockwise, just 'cause.....)