Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Started Spring The Non-Weber Way (Part 3)  (Read 1741 times)

brewtownbeatdown

• WKC Performer
Started Spring The Non-Weber Way (Part 3)
« on: April 14, 2020, 04:31:35 PM »
I know this topic’s title paints a gloomy picture, but it’s in no way as bad as it sounds.  It actually refers to some pretty sweet vintage non-Webers I’ve restored so far this spring.  This was the third one finished:

Structo 20” Charcoal Kettle

This is the pic from the original listing.  Debated for a bit if I would leave the patina on the shelf & wheels, or do a restoration.

There are a few fellas that made this possible, and to whom I owe a huge thanks...two Bobs and a Dennis.  @BobBQ for referring me to a local member in the area.  I like to reach out to locals to offer dibs before asking for help, so I contacted @bmcneely51 to see if he was interested in it, or if he’d be willing to agent for me.  Without hesitation, he agreed to grab ‘er for me right away.  He sent me a couple teaser pics after he got ‘er in his truck. 

This kettle was far from perfect.  There was gonna be a lot of parts fabrication, until @bladz texted me a pic of a kettle he’d grabbed for me.

I know it looks rough, but it had all the parts I needed in good to salvageable condition to restore mine: handles, handle brackets, charcoal grate, cook grate, charcoal grate brackets, and bowl damper.  Leaving the monster mouse nest in ‘er was a nice surprise too[emoji23].  The hole in the bowl must have been their entryway. 

Soaked the shelf, bowl damper, lid hanger, and charcoal grate brackets in EvapoRust.  Scrubbed the still wet shelf to see what shade of white it originally was.  Prepped, primed, and painted it.  Repainted the wheels to match.  Sanded & stained the handles.  Finished with a few coats of spar varnish.  Cleaned the bowl, lid, and grates.  Polished the legs.  Replaced the hardware with original matching hardware.  Chose to upgrade the bowl & lid damper hardware (10-24 struss head screws/square nuts to 1/4-20 truss head screws/all metal locknuts).  This will maintain the precise pressure for damper movement, and keep the lid hanger bolt from bending. 

This is definitely one of my favorite kettles, so thanks again @BobBQ , @ bmcneely51 , and @bladz !!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Obviously looking for a Glen Blue (who isn’t?😂).

Looking for anything Happy Cooker, including any re-branded as Montgomery Ward.  I’ve amassed a nice collection, but I’m missing a few still.  Let me know if you can help a fella out🤞

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
Re: Started Spring The Non-Weber Way (Part 3)
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2020, 06:10:23 PM »
Beauty, eh?  Glad it all worked out for you, @BrewTown!
BBQ:it's what's for dinner. Grail: 18” Custom - "The Californian"

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2020, 06:10:50 PM »
BBQ:it's what's for dinner. Grail: 18” Custom - "The Californian"

Erictag

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2020, 07:02:14 PM »
Grate restore, and grate teamwork!!

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club

bladz

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2020, 03:30:42 AM »
Always happy to add a grill or a part of a grill to help complete a vintage beauty like that.  Great job @brewtown!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2020, 03:58:21 AM »
I like that one a lot
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2020, 04:05:58 AM »
That shade of green is just amazing!  Maybe we need a non-Weber calendar too!

Kettle-karma to Bob BQ, Bladz, and bcmcneely51 for the assists.

brewtownbeatdown

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2020, 05:15:21 AM »
Always happy to add a grill or a part of a grill to help complete a vintage beauty like that.  Great job @brewtown!

You’ve helped me add a fair share of kettles/donors throughout the years.  You must have thought my excitement over this piece of [emoji90] was excessive, but now you see why[emoji23].  Thanks again!!!

Looking for anything Happy Cooker, including any re-branded as Montgomery Ward.  I’ve amassed a nice collection, but I’m missing a few still.  Let me know if you can help a fella out🤞

brewtownbeatdown

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2020, 05:21:21 AM »
That shade of green is just amazing!  Maybe we need a non-Weber calendar too!

Kettle-karma to Bob BQ, Bladz, and bcmcneely51 for the assists.
Those fellas definitely deserve some kettle karma!!!

It really is a grate shade of [emoji1649].  Forgot to include a late night pic inside the garage...the shade is even better IMO:

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2020, 05:32:51 AM »
Love that shade of green.  Growing up we had a Structo aluminum grill that was round and sat more like a weber - two wheels and a leg on the front.  First grill I cooked on.  Nice job here!

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2020, 07:05:44 AM »
Another great restore. So clean and shiny shown on the last pic.  Make me want to restore mine.

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2020, 05:41:40 PM »
NICE!  I also like the picture at night in the garage, such a pretty shade.
regards,
Hal

Shoestringshop

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2020, 11:58:18 AM »
I say it’s a cooker! Nice job I’d put it in the herd. Great work on that Beauty

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Wife said "No more GRILLS in this house!" So I bought a 2nd house!

fat-boy

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2020, 05:43:40 PM »
Looks like a new grill! I love the look of it!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club