Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: SSP ash sweeps  (Read 1027 times)

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
SSP ash sweeps
« on: April 12, 2020, 06:49:06 PM »
I have a new to me 97 SSP.  The ash sweeps are original thumb screw style and probably should be replaced.  It has the old style ash bucket with the cross bar holding it in place. 

My question is will new H style ash sweeps work with the old ash bucket?

Thanks. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
Re: SSP ash sweeps
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2020, 09:01:37 PM »
I'll look for a thread on it, but if memory serves, you keep the bar that holds the bucket on & take a small round file & file the holes in the portion the handle goes into on the h-ash sweeps (the side opposite to where the bar holding up the bucket is) to open them up just a tad to account for the thickness of the bar.  I believe you throw the h-washer away.  I'll try finding it & posting the link tomorrow. 

There are a couple other methods, but each involves either a modification to the bowl or to the piece the bucket goes in to.  This one is actually pretty easy & you can buy a some cheap round files from Harbor Freight or elsewhere if you don't have one that will work. 
regards,
Hal

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2020, 09:10:47 PM »
Check out this thread & the one reference therein that @toolhead originally did.  He is the one that came up with the mod.  I did it with a set of SS sweeps I swiped from another grill. 
regards,
Hal

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2020, 09:45:08 PM »
probably gona need a dremel / rotary tool with fiberglass cutting disc to remove the old ash sweep handle..and congrats on the SSP.

btw i recently cleaned a 26er i picked up a few months ago and fired her up a few weeks ago.

i see what everyone means about 26ers..its massive
Grills

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2020, 05:17:46 AM »
probably gona need a dremel / rotary tool with fiberglass cutting disc to remove the old ash sweep handle..and congrats on the SSP.

btw i recently cleaned a 26er i picked up a few months ago and fired her up a few weeks ago.

i see what everyone means about 26ers..its massive
Nice @toolhead you made room in your cooking area for a 26?
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2020, 04:44:27 PM »
@JEBIV  hey man.. i went with the 1 n, 1 out rule (kinda lol)

picked up the 26er around xmas time and made myself wait until one of my kettles left.

once it left i busted out the 26er, scrubbed/ scraped her down and replaced the ash sweeps and fired her up sameday with chicken wings..indirect for 1 hour with blend of cherry and hickory wood chunks.

its my new thing to blend wood chunks for the past few years.

btw smoked 2 full packer briskets over the past month in the 22" wsm .. burning through bags of  charcoal lately

hope all is well on your side
Grills