Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: cleaning extreme crud.....  (Read 4377 times)

Cookingmama

• WKC Ranger
cleaning extreme crud.....
« on: June 20, 2013, 08:49:45 AM »
this platinum i picked up a while back has some hardcore crud on it.  i have no idea what the guy did with it.  and there is actually a story behind me finally getting it home.  but back to the crud.  there is a hardcore buildup on the lid and the bowl.  i have no idea what this person did with this poor grill.  oh well.....

it sat for a long time here under its cover.  and when i finally opened it up yesterday some of the crud had loosened and came away in little sheets.  but it was only one side.  the rest is still there.  i tried some grill cleaner.... and a plastic dealio i use that usually works really well.  but no go.  so i decided to soak the bowl and lid.  they have been sitting in a huge plastic bin outside with Dawn and some of the grill cleaner poured in.  i just pulled them out and tried to see if any would come off.... but it is not budging. 

i have thought of Mean Green on there.  but its not greasy.... its a hard caked on thick layer.  soak in  vinegar?  would it hurt the paint?  what else can i use on this?  ammonia???
ribs pre-boiling & reaching for the lighter fluid!

landgraftj

• WKC Performer
Re: cleaning extreme crud.....
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2013, 08:54:15 AM »
Mama I used a metal scraper on the inside of my recent red bowl and lid...took most of the junk off without scratching the porcelain
Not everyone deserves to know the real you. Let them criticize who they think you are.

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2013, 09:14:39 AM »
Oven Cleaner (two applications for the hard ones) has worked for me in the past, coupled with a plastic scraper and scrub brush.  Wear gloves.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2013, 09:28:20 AM »

If it's hardened thick layer & is worse from grate level to the lip, it's probably smoke wood residue.......

^^^^ Above suggestions are good, I'd go plastic on the scraper to be safer..........
You can use a razor blade scraper or metal one, just go a little easier with those......
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

blackdog043

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2013, 11:05:00 AM »
I use a razor blade from a scraper,  don't use the handle just the blade. It comes off good and has never scratched the porcelain.
Bill    Looking for a Yellow

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2013, 11:27:50 AM »
I use a razor blade from a scraper,  don't use the handle just the blade. It comes off good and has never scratched the porcelain.

I was a little leary of sharp metal on metal, but you've had good results?
        ....seems like others have also.....
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

blackdog043

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2013, 12:10:32 PM »
Yes, you might go through a couple blades but it does a great job. I don't put anything on it, just dry scrape.
Bill    Looking for a Yellow

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2013, 01:53:16 PM »
I've been having the same troubles. I don't have a tub large enough to soak, but that has to be the easiest. Try some boiling hot water with some automatic dishwasher soap. Cover, let soak.
Scrape with scraper, soak some more . Use Easy off if you want, but it costs the most and doesn't always cut through the crud.  Its like cement. Easy off is good for grease and light crud.
I heard that peroixde and hot water works to loosen it. I doubt vinegar and baking soda will do much. I also heard amonia works, but I tried that with no noticable improvement.
I have gotten most of the crud off and am about to break out the razor blade..  8)
I don't care if you don't like my Avatar, its there for me..

G

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2013, 02:05:59 PM »
try a dull flat bladed screwdriver at a low angle to the surface....I use it all the time for that crud that looks like sandpaper on the underside of the lid.  It works well and I have never damaged the porcelain.

Cookingmama

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2013, 07:03:21 PM »
thanks for the suggestions.  i do not have a scraper blade and didnt want to go out and buy one.  so.....i used a metal pizza cutter!  that along with a lot of patience....time....and an energy drink got the job done.

i worked on it for two hours this evening.... eventually had to come in at 945 because i ran out of light....lol  but the bowl is clean and the lid is almost done.... just need a small amount to work on tomorrow. 

and yes AJ i was pretty sure the easy off wasnt going to work on this and didnt want to just waste money.  Stu.... perfect description.... its like rough sandpaper.  this stuff was about a good 1/8 inch thick on the lid and bowl. 

cant wait to finish it up.....

thanks guys!

Cookingmama

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2013, 07:04:32 PM »
oh AJ i think it also helped that it soaked for a day in the tub.... 

Tim in PA

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2013, 03:08:28 AM »
thanks for the suggestions.  i do not have a scraper blade and didnt want to go out and buy one.  so.....i used a metal pizza cutter!  that along with a lot of patience....time....and an energy drink got the job done.

i worked on it for two hours this evening.... eventually had to come in at 945 because i ran out of light....lol  but the bowl is clean and the lid is almost done.... just need a small amount to work on tomorrow. 

and yes AJ i was pretty sure the easy off wasnt going to work on this and didnt want to just waste money.  Stu.... perfect description.... its like rough sandpaper.  this stuff was about a good 1/8 inch thick on the lid and bowl. 

thanks guys!

If you are in the East we were doing the exact same thing at the same time, only I worked on it until 10:30 outside in the dark (mostly). I used a razor blade and was pleasantly surprised with the results!
-2012 Black Performer-2006 Green OTG-2009 Q Gasser-

G

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2013, 03:32:55 AM »
Cleaning that crust off is not much fun but once you do, the inside of the lid looks like you just pulled it from the box.  Now you can get it dirty with your "crud"... :)

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2013, 04:04:21 AM »
A bunch of oven cleaner, an Xacto chisel blade, a metal pot scrubber, a plastic scraper, and some kind of citrus degreaser.....and lots of all of them... Most important rubber gloves.  That 20+ years of grease will wreck your hands, as will the oven cleaner
Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2013, 06:48:10 AM »

thanks guys!

Show us some pics when its done.. Please and thanks.. AJ  8)
I don't care if you don't like my Avatar, its there for me..