Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Is this CGA is worth my time?  (Read 2178 times)

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Is this CGA is worth my time?
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2019, 12:20:09 PM »
Your Dog approves what do you need from us LOL, can't tell for sure but you should have a washer between each leg and the vent adjustments just can't tell from the pics if all 4 are there. You did well. baking soda and vinegar does work, but dawn and 0000 steel wool works wonders and is non caustic as well, and it smells good like when you're doing dishes
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

Erictag

• WKC Brave
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2019, 12:44:05 PM »
Good patina- I like it!!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

LiquidOcelot

• WKC Performer
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2019, 05:28:55 PM »
Oh thats a definite go anywhere. Got a few dings here and there so just keep it rolling as a work horse

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

1spacemanspiff

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2019, 07:09:39 PM »
Grate pick up for $10,  clean it up, can't wait to see you fire it up too!
ISO Yellow Offset SJ, Yellow ranger

Firemunkee

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2019, 07:23:15 PM »
That is a great find!
Together we'll fight the long defeat.

foshizzle

• WKC Brave
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2019, 08:28:44 PM »
That thing is a perfect GA pickup in my book. It’s a well seasoned cooker that looks really nice and there isn’t much worry about roughing it up a little when traveling. Also any Weber that has a decent wood handle selling for $10 is worth picking up. In fact almost any Weber for $10 is worth it. Congrats and enjoy cooking on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2019, 01:29:14 AM »
1) Diassemble to the degree necessary.
2)Razer scraper for all the really nasty stuff.
3) Water/Dawn and scrubbing with 0000 steel wool to get it really clean of the rust, grime, and corrosion.
4) Evaporust bath to remove remaining rust.  Clean it after.
5) Sanding and polishing the aluminum bits as described on the website tutorial for aluminum legs and ash pan. 
6) Reassembly with stainless hardware where possible. 

OPTIONAL
Soak the grates in water/Dawn and clean as best as you can by scraping (be careful if it is plated as it can chip off), brushing, and steel wool.  A wire brush on a drill can do wonders on a Charcoal grate but can be too rough for a plated top grate.   If still rusty and it bothers you they can also get an evapo rust bath.  I call this optional because a lot of times the grates are in pretty crap condition when you find them.

That is my basic clean up plan.  It only differs for more complicated stuff like Performers and etc.

Sent from my SM-G925R4 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: December 21, 2019, 01:32:35 AM by ReanimatedRobot »
ISO: 18" & 22" Lime, 22" Cado, Plum SSP, Clean & Colored 18" for Midget Mod, and the usual Grails.

Walchit

• WKC Performer
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2019, 03:18:46 AM »
Are you going to use it? If so I would scrape with the razor, maybe steel wool and dawn, lightly sand and refinish the handles. If you get it too clean, then you wont want to use it lol.
And like @foshizzle said, its hard to turn down a 10 dollar weber, and I could tell from the pic that the wood was good. 9/10 wkc members would have grabbed that thing.

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2019, 05:18:19 AM »
I agree. If I’m cooking with it then it won’t get polished up. Just razor scrape and a hot burn out fire. These are great little cookers. Also, Craycort makes a CI grate for these and IMO it’s a worthy upgrade.

https://www.cast-iron-grate.com/go-anywhere-grate-1.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2019, 05:42:03 AM »
These are so much better than a Smokey joe for a small portable grill. 10x better imo.  The gas version takes a minute to heat up but it rocks as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Lowbrass

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2019, 09:43:38 AM »

And if anyone else in my area reads this, please be cool and don't poach it from me.

Congrats on the pickup!  The handles look like they should clean up very nicely!  You don’t have to worry about any of the active StL members knowingly poaching you, we’re all aware of the unwritten rules and kettle karma and just wouldn’t do that.  If you don’t want anyone sniping you, you might want to wait to post until you have it in the car, there are thousands of nonactive members on the forums that might not care about the unwritten rules and karma.

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club
"The Fairway" '74, 22” Turquose, 18" Red C code, 18" Blue DU code x2, Gen 2 Grass Green Performer, 26” Glen Blue, Spring Green, "Bone", Turquose, Blue Wave, Wedgewood Blue, “Smoke”, Crimson and Homer SJGs.  14" and 18" WSM

Grails (HELP!): IMPERIAL GLEN BLUE!

KevinInStL

• WKC Brave
Is this CGA is worth my time?
« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2019, 12:47:50 PM »

And if anyone else in my area reads this, please be cool and don't poach it from me.

Congrats on the pickup!  The handles look like they should clean up very nicely!  You don’t have to worry about any of the active StL members knowingly poaching you, we’re all aware of the unwritten rules and kettle karma and just wouldn’t do that.  If you don’t want anyone sniping you, you might want to wait to post until you have it in the car, there are thousands of nonactive members on the forums that might not care about the unwritten rules and karma.

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club
Thanks! Yeah I'm pretty excited to clean it up and get cooking on it. With all the stuff on my Xmas to-do list that will have to wait a few more days. Best $10 I've spent in awhile though!

Yeahhh that's what I was thinking right after I posted it, lol. I was trying to figure out how to delete a post but couldn't find a way. Luckily I had already been in conversation with the seller before I posted here. So if anyone else did contact her, she was also cool about it and reserved it for me. Lesson learned for the future though, and fortunately it wasn't learned the hard way. 

Thanks again to everyone here for the advice and just making me aware of the CGA and it's many advantages over the far more common SJ. If it weren't for this place I probably wouldn't have even heard of the CGA. I wonder why Weber sells the SJ in practically every hardware, home improvement, and big box store in the country; while the CGA is a low volume niche market grill that's only sold online?

Anyway Cheers, Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays everyone!

P.s. nice limes, lowbrass!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
« Last Edit: December 21, 2019, 01:44:41 PM by KevinInStL »
ISO: Dark red/crimson mist kettle (cooker condition). 18" preferred, but a 22" would be awesome too.