Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Best way to clean out baked on bowl buildup?  (Read 1297 times)

Smoken Joe

• Smokey Joe
Best way to clean out baked on bowl buildup?
« on: September 22, 2019, 03:15:37 PM »
Suggestions?
Tri-Tip & Beef Dip, Some of the Glen Blue & some of the Yella

Walchit

• WKC Performer
Re: Best way to clean out baked on bowl buildup?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2019, 03:48:29 PM »
Razor blade and elbow grease
I have heard getting it hot first helps, but I havent tried it

Smoken Joe

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2019, 03:57:36 PM »
Awesome Thanks, have been using a metal razor scraper of sorts that works pretty well, any solution suggestions once I get down to the fine stuff in the bowl and lid other than warm soapy water

Grillagin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2019, 05:39:17 PM »
Awesome Thanks, have been using a metal razor scraper of sorts that works pretty well, any solution suggestions once I get down to the fine stuff in the bowl and lid other than warm soapy water

0000 steel wool

Cellar2ful

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2019, 06:26:16 PM »

Once I razor blade the inside of the bowl, I use an SOS pad and Dawn soap to remove the rest.  Both the SOS pad and Dawn soap are biodegradable so I clean the kettles over my lawn, sitting on a wrought iron table.  I hose the bowl down when I'm done scrubbing.  Multitasking - Cleaning kettles and watering the lawn. 

Once dried, I hit the outside of the bowl with #0000 steel wool to really get a high shine. 
« Last Edit: September 22, 2019, 06:45:26 PM by Cellar2ful »
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2019, 06:28:01 PM »
I usually hit it with the hose outside, use razer blades to start scraping out the heavy amounts of gunk while in the yard, and then disassemble it.  With the worst of it gone I will continue scraping it in the garage until it is almost all gone.  Finish up with 0000 steel wool and dawn dish soap. 

Sent from my SM-G925R4 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

ISO: 18" & 22" Lime, 22" Cado, Plum SSP, Clean & Colored 18" for Midget Mod, and the usual Grails.

Smoken Joe

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2019, 09:37:43 PM »

Once I razor blade the inside of the bowl, I use an SOS pad and Dawn soap to remove the rest.  Both the SOS pad and Dawn soap are biodegradable so I clean the kettles over my lawn, sitting on a wrought iron table.  I hose the bowl down when I'm done scrubbing.  Multitasking - Cleaning kettles and watering the lawn. 

Once dried, I hit the outside of the bowl with #0000 steel wool to really get a high shine.
Great tips really appreciate it, you will have to see how close to NIB this 22” 1980 B I just picked up is when I’m finished with it. The thing was probably used less than once a year for the last 39 years.

Smoken Joe

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2019, 09:40:49 PM »
I usually hit it with the hose outside, use razer blades to start scraping out the heavy amounts of gunk while in the yard, and then disassemble it.  With the worst of it gone I will continue scraping it in the garage until it is almost all gone.  Finish up with 0000 steel wool and dawn dish soap. 

Sent from my SM-G925R4 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Thanks all great tips and conservation