Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Father's day present.  (Read 1828 times)

One Touch Platinum

• WKC Brave
Father's day present.
« on: June 16, 2013, 07:16:43 PM »
I just got this for Father's day.....pretty cool setup. I tried out some ribs on it and they came out pretty tasty. I still need to work out a good system for fire management when using the rotisserie. I try to keep the charcoal as indirect as possible but that means that I can't setup my coals the same as I do on longer cooks. I tried doing a Minion type thing with the charcoal baskets but to me that is limiting since once they burn long enough they fill with ash and choke themselves. The cool thing is that I can fit 4 full size racks of ribs on this thing without any problem. I will give this thing a spin doing some salmon and whatever else I can fill the trays up with. It sure looks cool. I now have way more money invested in after market stuff for my grill than I spent ON the grill. ???

If it needs to be Heated to be Eated, I can do it on my Weber!

Duke

• The Duke
Re: Father's day present.
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2013, 07:22:04 PM »
Awesome Fathers day Gift! I got a six pack of rootbeer. :D

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2013, 07:23:40 PM »
Very nice fathers day present, looks good on your OTP
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2013, 07:24:55 PM »
Neat looking gadget.

OK, dumb question since I've never used a rotisserie, but isn't direct heat OK here, since the food's moving up and away? You get a bit of a sear perhaps initially and then a slower cook as the heat dies down, no?
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Hogsy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2013, 08:24:56 PM »
I still cook indirect, still gotta be careful of big flare ups
I'm only 2 or 3 kettles away from being that creepy guy down the street with all the Webers
                            WKC Collaborator
                        Viva La  Charcoal Revolution

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2013, 08:25:59 PM »
That's a sweet Father's Day gift!  :D

One Touch Platinum

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2013, 06:21:57 AM »
Here is what I meant about indirect.... When I do a pork butt or ribs or anything that requires a long cook I will line up the charcoal along side the bowl in a half circle type arrangement. The coals are banked and I will start a small amount at one end and let it do it's thing. With the rotisserie I am trying to avoid direct heat under one end of the meat , since the roto is right in the middle of the grill my normal setup won't work. The other thing is that it is harder to control the temp with the whole rotisserie setup than without since it is not as airtight. For the most part I have only done things on the rotisserie that have required about 90 minutes to 2 hours cooking time at around 350 degrees but if I need a longer cook time at lower heat I need to experiment.  I plan on using the Rib-O-lator for ribs, fish and whatever , but I will still do other long cooks the way I always have. The main thing about the Rib-O-Lator for me is that I can fit 4 racks of ribs on it where 3 racks even with a rib rack was a little cramped.
If it needs to be Heated to be Eated, I can do it on my Weber!

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2013, 10:13:10 AM »
If I understand you correctly, you'd like to combine a low(er) and slow(er) method with the rotisserie.

... With the rotisserie I am trying to avoid direct heat under one end of the meat , since the roto is right in the middle of the grill my normal setup won't work. ...

Have you considered splitting the fuel? Take your "half circle" of coals, divide them into separate sides of the bowl. Light a few of each on the end; treat them as the two separate sets of coals that they are. Each part would be narrower than a full 1/2 circle and shouldn't burn the ends of the food.

As for heat regulation you might use "too many" coals to begin with but close down vents somewhat and then as the cook progresses and the temp falls too low, open vents up to gain some hotter burn. You might be able to avoid having to take it all off and add more coals this way.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch