Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Delivered to my dad his "new" '05 Performer.  (Read 1178 times)

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Delivered to my dad his "new" '05 Performer.
« on: June 16, 2013, 07:02:33 PM »
By the way, Happy Father's Day to all dads past, present and future.

I still can't get some thin, crusty baked-on grease off of the bowl nor lid; it defies the razor blade, paint scraper and steel wool. But inside it's actually very good overall, and fine for the "cooker" it may become (if my dad ever really gets into grilling ...)

And then I moved his '70s 18.5" next to so as to create The Official BBQ Area, but they'll have to be moved away from the siding to cook. It's faded black, not gray. Wheels have faded gray (to match, LOL.) It's got a few rust areas on the lid I want to deal with this summer if I can?

I figure the 18.5" deserves a proper cover but my dad will surely laugh at that since it's made it this far and mostly been replaced by the fancy green one. Amazing how they can still shine when having never been cleaned/polished up top. Thing seemed as heavy as my '02 OTS 22.5".

Now that I think about it, I'm surprised my dad bought the old Weber, because my folks never had any money in the 1970s and surely some cheap-ass grill beckoned. Then again I also recall him having prior to this, a crappy little hibachi and one of those trendy round '60s-style grills with like a 3" distance from bottom to grill surface that do a fine job of burning food by placing coals directly under the grill surface.

I tried to install a cap from a 1lb propane tank but that leg's become so sanded down/angled the cap wouldn't go on; it didn't have enough "reach". Please advise.

It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Delivered to my dad his "new" '05 Performer.
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2013, 07:14:26 PM »
Well you could get a replacement set of legs from Weber...., you could try to ever so gently saw the leg square again, or grind it, I don't know what kind of tools you have access to.  If you had a compound miter saw you could take just a tiny bit off so it was 90 degrees again.  You don't want to take too much. 
Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2013, 07:30:43 PM »
Nice of you to give your Dad a great grill! :)
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

Chasing_smoke

• WKC Ranger
Delivered to my dad his "new" '05 Performer.
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2013, 07:48:11 PM »
Wow both of those are awesome, the performer came back nicely great clean up! The 18.5 is a beauty too, glad he held on to it this long! Great gift!

"my kettle is more powerful it will do almost anything."
MH Copper mist, Daisy Wheel P, Homer Simpson OTG, Blue 18, Blue Mastertouch, SJS, Genesis Sliver B, Red 18 Bar-b-q-kettle Pat Pending, Copper performer

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2013, 07:55:22 PM »
Failing buying new legs or a deeper cap from Ace or weber, you could reverse themlegs and drill a new triangle hole.

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2013, 07:56:57 PM »
Oven cleaner and a plastic scraper work well on gunk.