Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Embers charcoal  (Read 5445 times)

crowderjd

• WKC Ranger
Embers charcoal
« on: February 11, 2017, 08:17:59 AM »
Hey all,

I ran out of my Labor Day supply of KBB, and was Home Depot this morning to pick up more at full price...which hurts the inner cheapskate in me to no end... :P  Anyway, they had 15 lb bags of Embers Charcoal, which says on the side is made by Royal Oak.  The bags were $5.79 a piece.  I bought one bag out of curiosity along with KBB.  Anyone ever use this?  I've used regular Royal Oak briquettes before, and liked it.  And yes, I know I should be using Stubbs or Coshell instead of KBB, I just have NEVER seen either on sale here in Vegas.  Thanks in advance for any info!
Chasing the impossibles: Westerner, Custom, Meat Cut!

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Embers charcoal
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2017, 08:48:19 AM »
Just because you might hear a lot of guys including me tout how awesome Stubbs is doesn't mean you "should be using it". If you like KBB or Royal Oak and you are comfortable using it then that's just fine. I think if you are familiar with your fuel choice then you know how it lights, burns, when to add more and how much. I don't feel like experimenting with different charcoal because I'm getting great results with my current process.  Don't have anything to offer about Embers or RO but I'm sure someone here will have something to say.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

Harbormaster

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2017, 12:04:20 PM »
In my experience, the Embers briquettes are the same as the Royal Oak red bag briquettes. I have used them with no issues.
I've got Webers. 10 - WSMs, 5 - 22.5" kettles, 2 - 18.5" kettle, 2 - SJS, 2 - SJP, 4 - WGA, 1 vintage Coolie Pan
"Animal flesh cooked over an open fire is a sensible and essential part of a well balanced diet"

crowderjd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2017, 12:40:05 PM »
@Harbormaster thank you!  I'll fire some up tonight!

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2017, 01:12:56 PM »
I buy the cheapest charcoal I can.  I'n not observant or good enough to notice a difference except in cost
Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

LiquidOcelot

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2017, 04:18:18 PM »
I buy the cheapest charcoal I can.  I'n not observant or good enough to notice a difference except in cost
x2 I don't grill on a few times a week frequency, more so the occasion or I'm not being lazy lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

jaygibbs

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2019, 01:07:38 PM »
My first computer programming job was for a company called Forest Products and that company made charcoal briquets and they put those exact same briquets in 52 different Branded Charcoal Bags.  One of those brands was Royal Oak and one was Piggly Wiggy Charcoal.  This is why I am not a charcoal snob.  ;>

By the way, Home Depot has Embers on sale right now - 2 20lb bags for $9.98 which is pretty good!!

bladz

• WKC Ranger
Embers charcoal
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2019, 02:22:45 PM »
I’m actually using Embers charcoal right now. I too buy by price only.  I can’t tell a difference between all the brands besides Weber charcoal. Weber briquettes seem to burn a hell of a lot longer IMHO.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

crowderjd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2019, 07:50:14 PM »
This post brings back memories...I really like the Embers...and the Schnucks brand...and the Wal Mart...all with ridges by Royal Oak...I actually prefer it to Kingsford overall.  These days I'll use whatever.

jimz

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2019, 12:44:59 AM »
I loaded up a month or so ago when the depot was clearing out the 15 LB bags for 1.75 each. I grabbed 15 in all. Ive been really happy with these and i find they burn a little slower than kingsford but simlar in heat output. No off flavors but I usually throw in a chunk or 2 of wood depending on what im cooking. Cant beat it for the price.

stev

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2019, 06:23:25 AM »
I haven't tried Embers yet, but stopped by HD yesterday and picked up a two pack of twenty lb bags for $4.98-sweet!