Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: WARNING - Evapo-Rust Gel will damage (discolor) porcelain  (Read 641 times)

Cellar2ful

WARNING - Evapo-Rust Gel will damage (discolor) porcelain
« on: August 30, 2019, 07:58:47 AM »

Thought this warranted a advisory.  Last year I tested the Evapo-Rust Gel on the interior of bowl. There was missing porcelain where the leg sockets were welded and it was badly rusted. I usually use #0000 steel wool but thought it was worth a try.  As careful as I was to only apply to the rusted, bare metal areas, a small amount of Gel got onto the porcelain.  After 30 minutes I washed off the Gel and found it had etched or discolored the porcelain around the bare metal areas.  Thankfully, it was a very small area and is not really noticeable as this is a "user" kettle.

Unfortunately for this fella, he wasn't so lucky as to "not really noticeable".  He posted this photo yesterday on FB Weber GrillGiants. 

Sad part was he posted a question about removing rust on the same site about 5 hours earlier.  Someone recommended he use Evapo-Rust Gel on that thread.  Sadly, I didn't see either post until after the damage had been done.  I maybe could have prevented him from damaging his kettle had I been able to advise him of possible porcelain damage.  Hence this post, hopefully preventing anyone from using Evapo-Rust Gel on porcelain.
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
Re: WARNING - Evapo-Rust Gel will damage (discolor) porcelain
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2019, 08:08:37 AM »
I haven't seen anything good about the gel.  I have had good luck the liquid evaporust.  I essentially soaked a speckled sj in it without any issues.  I can't say for sure how it does with colors though.  I will probably try it on a lime sj and report back.

Sent from my SM-G925R4 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

ISO: 18" & 22" Lime, 22" Cado, Plum SSP, Clean & Colored 18" for Midget Mod, and the usual Grails.

inkaddictedchef1

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2019, 08:08:43 AM »
... thanks Jim

Sent from my SM-G965U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Cellar2ful

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2019, 08:26:49 AM »
I haven't seen anything good about the gel. 

Evapo-Rust Gel is great for certain applications.  It works fantastic on 1950's era kettles solid metal triangles, metal legs (true metal not aluminum) that are large and cumbersome to soak in regular Evapo-Rust.  Also works on the J hooks of real old U cut out ash pans.  You just have to be careful not to get it on the aluminum ash pan. 

Regular Evapo-Rust is not caustic like the Evapo-Rust Gel is.  Totally different formulas.  You can smell the chemicals in the Gel product and has all kinds of warnings on the label. I glove up, work outdoors and am much more careful when using the Gel product. 
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2019, 08:59:31 AM »
I will still stick with the liquid form. If you buy it in a 5 gallon bucket and use a cheap plastic kiddy pool you can easily soak grates, triangles, and etc. 

I have used a 3 gallon utility pan for an sj, but larger kettles I haven't found a good soaking solution. 

Stuff is awesome.

ISO: 18" & 22" Lime, 22" Cado, Plum SSP, Clean & Colored 18" for Midget Mod, and the usual Grails.

charred

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2019, 03:11:55 AM »
That's too bad about the gel. I've never used it. I trust the liquid for everything and used it to restore my '58 18 chromoveil. I soak in a 55 gal drum.
hopelessly, helplessly, happily addicted to a shipload of Webers

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2019, 05:40:14 AM »
Just when I thought I was a heavy evapo rust user this guy brings out a 55 gallon drum haha ;)
That's too bad about the gel. I've never used it. I trust the liquid for everything and used it to restore my '58 18 chromoveil. I soak in a 55 gal drum.

Filibuster

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2019, 11:16:38 AM »
   Never knew evapo-rust had a gel, I've always used naval jelly and that was on the two outriders and firepit which are black with no staining. Maybe the black grills have a tougher coating because naval jelly is nothing to play with either.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Radio station WEFUNK 50,000 kilowatts of PFUNK power.