Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: New kettles have individualized serial numbers?  (Read 1710 times)

cbpeck

• WKC Ranger
New kettles have individualized serial numbers?
« on: June 12, 2013, 04:08:46 PM »
I noticed that the new OTGs and Jumbo Joes have individualized serial numbers engraved on the top vent. I assume they all do now. Anybody know why they changed?

MartyG

• WKC Performer
Re: New kettles have individualized serial numbers?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2013, 05:17:58 PM »
My guess: easier to establish the original owner and limit warranty repair costs. Boxes disappear, but the serial number will tell them when and where it was sold into distribution, and subsequently the hands of one of us. Presuming you register the grill, it's a permanent record that can be traced back when someone calls and says "I need a new lid cause this one's warped". Not that any of us has ever done that. Not at all. No way.

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2013, 12:58:29 PM »
Grillfellas had nothing to do with the serial numbers.............. uh............................what serial number? It says AU, yeah..... AU  8)

AU betta get me that ash can or you's will find yaselves going to see Jimmy & Tommy...  8)
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 01:00:52 PM by Craig »

MaxBobcat

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2013, 12:15:43 PM »
I have a 2013 OTG and I haven't noticed any serial number on it.  I do have AT stamped on my top vent though.

I have a 2013 WSM as well, it has AT stamped on the vent as well.

colin.p

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2013, 12:50:23 PM »
I got a 2013 OTG as well and it is a CN serial number. Yay, what do I win.
2009 Weber Spirit E310, 2013 22.5 OTG and a bunch of Weber stuff
I like my Weber's the same as my Ford's and Harley's, any colour, as long as it's black.

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2013, 11:51:40 PM »
I work in manufacturing  automation systems here in IL and from what ive seen the laser engraving has come about since the automation costs have probably gone down so much that it makes economic sense to do so. A laser engraver can be amortized over a few years, and when registering the kettle they get your email info to like their Facebook page and send you promo offers. Needing people to register kettles will also reduce the warranty costs incurred in a few years. All this adds to the roi on the engraving system.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Bman

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2013, 05:43:38 AM »
I have a 2013 OTG and I haven't noticed any serial number on it.  I do have AT stamped on my top vent though.

I have a 2013 WSM as well, it has AT stamped on the vent as well.

I thought the same thing until I looked again.  My '13 WSM does indeed have a # on the vent.
I've always had gas...  And now a bunch of kettles because of this place.  Thanks!