Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Gasket  (Read 699 times)

sjmolitor@gmail.com

• Happy Cooker
Gasket
« on: August 13, 2019, 06:33:55 PM »
Has anyone put a gasket on a Weber kettle 22 inch? On the top or bottom ? Results?

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
Re: Gasket
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2019, 07:16:13 PM »
At one point I thought that his might be a good idea, but I really don't think it is a big deal that some smoke might seep out around the edges of the lid.  I would also think that eventually the gasket adhesive will fail and the material that helps it seal will rub away.  Reapplying a new gasket would just be a pain then. 

I would just not bother with putting a gasket on it at all, but that's my opinion.  If you really think you need it to be 100% air tight to hold heat and/or smoke then you probably need to upgrade to something a little more fancy than just a 22 inch kettle. 
ISO: 18" & 22" Lime, 22" Cado, Plum SSP, Clean & Colored 18" for Midget Mod, and the usual Grails.

Filibuster

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2019, 12:49:35 AM »
   There's the felt gasket then theres out of the tube sealant and some people use both. I've dealt with the felt gasket and it holds up well. I would point you in that direction just peel and stick. Use the SEARCH button it's your friend.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Radio station WEFUNK 50,000 kilowatts of PFUNK power.

Hollando

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2019, 02:48:05 AM »
Has anyone put a gasket on a Weber kettle 22 inch? On the top or bottom ? Results?

I dabbled in this a few month ago. As silly as it sounds I use binder clips if I’m cooking something where I want to maximize smoke hold or if I find the temperature is creeping up for no reason.

I also find they help close down the fire when I’m done for the day.

-H
« Last Edit: August 14, 2019, 10:16:03 AM by Hollando »

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2019, 03:56:59 AM »
+1 on the binder clip strategy.  Works just fine for lids that don’t seal well in lns cooks or shutting down coals.  Kettles aren’t meant to be airtight. Enough cooking will form a natural seal anyway.  My wsm lid sticks and I don’t bother to clean it because it helps seal it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2019, 09:39:31 AM »
No reason for a gasket. If you have excessive leak, either your lid or bowl is out round and possibly both.

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2019, 12:48:05 PM »
Agree that gaskets on kettles and smokers are not necessary.  A slight leak isn't going to throw your results off in a dramatic way.
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

Shoestringshop

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2019, 01:42:09 PM »
Agree that gaskets on kettles and smokers are not necessary.  A slight leak isn't going to throw your results off in a dramatic way.

Agreed. Also the more you cook on the grill the better seal you get. When I clean my grills I never clean the rim I get very little leakage.
Wife said "No more GRILLS in this house!" So I bought a 2nd house!