Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Base 16 Brisket  (Read 829 times)

Lightning

• WKC Ranger
Base 16 Brisket
« on: August 10, 2019, 11:41:35 AM »
Ok, I know, it’s a corny joke but I had to whip out the programmer’s calculator and do it.   Anyways, I’m going to season up this brisket and get the smoker ready to go tonight so I can light it up and start it coming early tomorrow morning.

This is only the second time I’ll be cooking a brisket so keep your fingers crossed for me.  I’ll post pictures and updates as I go.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Hollando

• WKC Brave
Re: Base 16 Brisket
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2019, 07:12:49 PM »
Would love to see the progress prior and post trim, and posts through the day.

-H

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2019, 08:35:32 PM »
Man, I'm seriously due for a brisket.

DaveG74

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2019, 09:24:28 PM »
Looking forward to updates

Man, I'm seriously due for a brisket.

Me too, I need a lazy weekend. Smoking chuck roasts in the meantime to hold me over.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2019, 09:26:19 PM by DaveG74 »
I swear, when I score a great deal on a 26" I'll stop buying grills... So often.

Lightning

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2019, 04:39:16 AM »
I trimmed the brisket up and seasoned it with salt, pepper and garlic earlier this morning.

I’m a real hack when it comes to trimming briskets. The fat that can go from incredibly thick to paper thin on a dime got me this time and last time in a couple of places but this is only my second brisket and I’m far from expert at preparing and cooking these.

Similarly, moving it from the fitting board to the smoker disturbed the rub a lot more than I would have liked.  I’m thinking of laying the cooking grate from the WSM on the cutting board next time and doing the seasoning on that so there’s no need to shift it to the grate and it can be carried out and dropped right on the WSM.

I got the WSM warming up with Royal Oak lump charcoal while the last of the trimming and the seasoning was taking place.  I had to squish the brisket slightly to fit the ends inside the smoker and get the lid on.  Now I don’t feel bad at all about getting the 22.5 inch WSM!   I can’t imagine how I would’ve gotten it into an 18 inch one.  Anyways, it went in at 8:30 AM with some cherry wood.  My driveway is starting to smell sweet and smoky.  I’m going to head back inside and go back to bed for a bit.

Lightning

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2019, 04:34:36 PM »
Here’s an update.  The first picture is of the brisket about halfway through the cook when I wrapped them up and after when I removed them from the smoker to rest.

Like the pork shoulder I cooked last weekend, the brisket had a good long run at 191 internal while wrapped.  It never hit the 205 degree temperature but a lot of liquid poured out when I attempted to take it off and the foil tore so fingers crossed it means it’s good and tender and flavourful.  I managed to save some of it and pour it over top in a new foil wrap in the last picture before sealing it up to rest.

I’ve got one more guest on the way now and it should be fully rested by the time he gets here and we’ll cut into it then and make some sandwiches.

Hollando

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2019, 05:13:58 PM »

I’ve got one more guest on the way now and it should be fully rested by the time he gets here

Looks great!
Make sure you don’t toss those burnt ends. Those are the best part.

-H

Lightning

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2019, 05:40:25 PM »
Success!   The brisket turned out beautifully and the four of us here have put a serious dent in it having sandwiches.  The bark has a nice smoky tang to it and the inside is a gorgeous, juicy, tender flavourful beefy treat that we’re all sinking our teeth into.

Don’t worry - none of it is going to be thrown out.  It’s all going to get eaten.

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2019, 05:14:01 AM »
I would say SUCCESS for sure
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

Walchit

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2019, 08:20:49 AM »
Looks good from here!

BigEll

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2019, 10:59:28 PM »
Mouthwatering!

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club