Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Steak and Chuck Roast for tacos  (Read 502 times)

techdavis

• Smokey Joe
Steak and Chuck Roast for tacos
« on: July 23, 2019, 12:36:15 PM »
I saw this rib steak a week ago and couldn’t believe the marbling, so I had to have it. Too bad it was so thin (maybe half inch at most). Then, when I went to get corn to go along with it, I decided I wanted to make tacos, too. Just my luck, no flank steak, or anything like it at the commissary. So, plan B. I bought a chuck roast and decided to smoke it with carne asada seasoning to pull for taco meat. Yeah, on a work night. Great plan.

So I fired up some lump charcoal in about 1/3 of the SnS. Seasoned with some AP rub - salt, pepper and garlic. Well, all this beautiful fat rendered into the coals and caused so much flame up the meat over cooked. It was still delicious, but way overdone. Then I filled up the SnS with charcoal for the hot and fast cook to 205.

Weber Carne Asada rub on this chuck roast. 2 hours in at 350, it was150 and the bark was set. Covered with sliced onions and El Pato salsa de chili fresco, then double wrapped in foil. Moved all the good coals to one side, lit half a chimney and added. Cranked the heat up to 370-400 until it hit 206. Rested an hour in a faux Cambro and tried to pull it. Failed to pull! It was still too tough, even though the probe test was good. So...plan C. Chunked it up and put in the Instant Pot for 15 minutes with natural release. That did it. Made for delicious tacos!

Unfortunately, it was all done at 1 AM. Did I mention it was a work night? 6 AM came awfully early, but lunch was so good.

After eating a taco with fresh pico de gallo and homemade pickled red onions, my coworker said “I don’t know what you’re doing, but keep doing it! You’re doing it right. These tacos are awesome!”

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club
« Last Edit: July 23, 2019, 12:39:50 PM by techdavis »

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Steak and Chuck Roast for tacos
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2019, 02:27:32 PM »
I’ll bet that was good. I have also been known to try and squeeze in a longer cook on a week night.

So did you get to eat the thin steak while you waited on the chuck roast?

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

techdavis

• Smokey Joe
Re: Steak and Chuck Roast for tacos
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2019, 08:41:14 PM »

I’ll bet that was good. I have also been known to try and squeeze in a longer cook on a week night.

So did you get to eat the thin steak while you waited on the chuck roast?

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

It really turned out amazing. Funny thing is my original plan when I got the Chuck was to do a couple hours on smoke and finish in the Instant Pot. But it was going so well I thought I could finish it on the grill. Live and learn.

The steak was delicious. And paired with the corn was a perfect meal while the roast was on.

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club