Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Article on correct internal cooking temps for chicken  (Read 624 times)

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Article on correct internal cooking temps for chicken
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2019, 07:51:46 AM »
That is an excellent article. Thanks for sharing. The information and technology available makes it easy for people starting out these days. This would have saved me years of trial and error to get where I’m at now.

It really confirms some of my trials through the years. Cooking dark meat to higher temperature and it explains why I’ve always found juices in pork and chicken to run clear at 155.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2019, 07:58:52 AM »
This also is inline with my deep fried turkey wing phase not long ago. The first batch I deep fried to an internal temp of 165-170. Meat was tough and not enjoyable. Next time I deep fried to an internal of 195. Delicious just like chicken wings but bigger. So don’t give up on turkey wings. I need to pick some more up today [emoji848]

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2019, 12:28:37 PM »
Great article. Thanks for sharing Jim.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2019, 08:54:29 AM »
Really good article, good read, thanks for sharing!! :-)
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

Cellar2ful

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2019, 09:35:40 AM »

I read a similar article years ago that Thermoworks sent out in an email around Thanksgiving.  It was regarding cooking turkeys and internal temps.  I was amazed at how much juicier my turkey was after pulling the bird at 157 degrees.  Prior to that, I had always used 165 degrees for my target "pulling" temp. I was definitely overcooking my poultry for many years prior to reading the email. My breast temps were probably at 175 degrees when I carved the bird.   That and letting the bird rest for at least 30-45 minutes before carving.  Prior to reading the email, I let the turkeys sit for about 15 minutes as that was I "heard" was recommended.  I didn't know how dry my turkey breast meat was until I pulled my first one at 157 degrees. 

Gotta love the Internet.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2019, 09:38:51 AM by Cellar2ful »
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

Rub

• WKC Ranger
    • Swamp Boys BBQ
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2019, 07:24:02 PM »
Always good reads from them.
In the market for unicorns to complete my collection: Ambassador, Plainsman, Meat Cut, Custom, Blue 18 MBH, Green 18 MBH

Walchit

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2019, 04:59:06 AM »
I needed this info for the quail I cooked the other day. I always overcook bird, becaise of the reason stated in that article, I dont want anyone getting sick. I thought it was still pretty good, my buddy went a little heavy on the rub, so everyone but me thought it was too spicy... Well his family, mine wouldn't even try it. I didnt check the temp, used my probe for grill temp.

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2019, 06:48:06 AM »
Thanks.  It was interesting & should be helpful.  I like the explanation regarding dark meat too, very useful.
regards,
Hal