Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: First Vintage Find is a Yachtsman!  (Read 1837 times)

Walchit

• WKC Performer
Re: First Vintage Find is a Yachtsman!
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2019, 05:48:05 PM »
Does this grill look a bit familiar to anyone?

Lets hear it

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2019, 07:57:16 PM »
I suppose an update is in order.  Right now I have most of the grime and nastiness off the inside of the kettle.  It is still quite solid, but the rust around the grate straps was worst than I hoped.  While removing some it I made a small hole under one grate strap.  Not very noticeable unless you are looking, but enough of a warning sign to tell me that I just need to focus on getting any more loose rust off and just treat it with oil and heat.  I thought about welding new tabs where two were falling off, but I think I am just going to let the grate rest on there as is.  It will still lay in there just fine.  The outside has been cleaned up a bit and some of the old paint rubbed off just fine, but it will take a lot of elbow grease if I stick to steel wool.  I am going to look into getting some graffiti remover and start working on it this weekend.  I didn't show the inside of the lid, but it cleaned up fairly well and only showed signs of rusting around the handle and a few random spots.

This grill will still be a looker, but very much of a cooker given that she isn't going to be show room quality.  I will probably use it when I am just making a meal for two or if I want to grill some sides at a gathering and just want a cool conversation piece.  I can't wait to get it hot and see some more color!
ISO: 18" & 22" Lime, 22" Cado, Plum SSP, Clean & Colored 18" for Midget Mod, and the usual Grails.

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2019, 05:18:53 PM »
I figured now would be a good time to do some before and after photos.  Who doesn't love a good before and after photo after all?

The clean up went really well for the most part except the paint scraping on the bottom bowl was very tedious.  The graffiti remover worked well for the lid, but on the bowl most of the paint was actually burnt onto the surface making the graffiti remover not as helpful.  The razor scraper was also difficult in some places given that there was some cracking on the porcelain making an uneven surface.  I would love to say I got 100 percent of the paint off, but that isn't true.  I left the paint on in areas where rust was heavy because I worried that scraping might do more damage than I wanted to and some places were just a pain to get.  I plan on using a blow torch to turn the paint black or even burn it off.  I will then use oil and heat to treat the metal as necessary. 
ISO: 18" & 22" Lime, 22" Cado, Plum SSP, Clean & Colored 18" for Midget Mod, and the usual Grails.

Red_5_Wrangler

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2019, 06:51:05 PM »
Wonderful job sir!
ISO - CMist Go Anywhere, the cheif, yellow

ABROB

• WKC Brave
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2019, 07:19:34 PM »
Very nice!

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2019, 07:22:58 PM »
Damn, it doesn't even look like the same kettle. 
regards,
Hal

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2019, 07:38:21 PM »
Very nice job!!!

I’m no expert so others may chime in but I’d probably skip the blow torch part and let the painted rust spots turn on their own with use. Then as they turn oil them up with some heat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2019, 09:22:32 AM »
Very nice job!!!

I’m no expert so others may chime in but I’d probably skip the blow torch part and let the painted rust spots turn on their own with use. Then as they turn oil them up with some heat.

I kind of wondered if anyone would chime in on this. If it wasn't an ugly tan I wouldn't have worried about it at all really.

If I try it I will start with one small less noticeable spot to see how it turns out before doing them all.  I will also report the results for others.

Sent from my SM-G925R4 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2019, 10:48:54 AM »
Nothing ugly about that old grill!

Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

james1787

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2019, 12:29:56 PM »
What a find! It's cleaning up real nice!
Seeking either 56-58 anything or Westerner