Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: How to control temp?  (Read 841 times)

f22raptor

• Happy Cooker
How to control temp?
« on: July 15, 2019, 11:53:14 AM »
Hello folks,
I just upgraded from a 14 inch (after 5 years) to a 22 inch original kettle. My first cook was 2 racks of spare ribs. I had the temp set at 300-330 (used indirect heat) for 3 hours and yet the ribs were at 140 F. They were "done" but not tender. I did use a pan filled with water on the hot side to keep the moisture content high. Does this water addition mess up my temp reading. I am using the fixed-in thermometer on the kettle top .

Please advise what I am doing wrong.

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
Re: How to control temp?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2019, 03:52:14 PM »
Hi. You did everything right.  You simply need to cook them longer.   Tender ribs are not usually done by temp but by feel.  Look up the “bend test.”  Tender can also be seen by significant pullback on the bone or using a probe or toothpick to insert between the ribs.  The toothpick should go in with little resistance.   If you did check a temp, it should be 190+ to be tender.  Tough to get an accurate reading between bones.  Tough cuts like Ribs shoulder, and brisket have target temps for doneness but that does not mean it will be tender.   You have to check them by feel.  This was one of the biggest lessons I learned early on in my bbq journey.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hollando

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2019, 06:00:09 PM »

Hello folks,
I just upgraded from a 14 inch (after 5 years) to a 22 inch original kettle. My first cook was 2 racks of spare ribs. I had the temp set at 300-330 (used indirect heat) for 3 hours and yet the ribs were at 140 F. They were "done" but not tender. I did use a pan filled with water on the hot side to keep the moisture content high. Does this water addition mess up my temp reading. I am using the fixed-in thermometer on the kettle top .

Please advise what I am doing wrong.

The advice you’ve got so far is dead on. Check out some vids or searches on how to know when ribs are done.

The most popular method is the “bend test”. At the temperature you mentioned you’re probably looking at 4.75 to 6.0 hours.

-H

510rob

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2019, 05:41:46 PM »
If it makes you feel any better, I cooked my first rack of ribs on my 22" Kettle last Sunday and had less-than-satisfying results considering the care and attention I put into it...

Put them on at noon, kettle holding steady between 220-250°F, let them smoke for 3hrs, then tinfoil wrapped for another 3 hrs, then back in with some sauce for another 3hrs.  After all of that, no love.  "these are not the ribs we are looking for"

socal-griller

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2019, 03:52:24 PM »
18x6 @ ~4.5 lbs each. I do 275-290 for 1.5 hours. Add charcoal and rotate rack positions. 275-290 for another 1.5. Foil and convection oven at 275 for another 1.5-2.0. Competition bite at 1 hour but the kids like it better at 1.5-2.0.

socal-griller

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2019, 03:57:16 PM »
Should use a probe at the grate near the rib rack(s). The Weber temp gauge is off by around 150F (high) during SnS with ribs for me. YMMV.