Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: New weber kettle, rusting...  (Read 597 times)

ex_egger_sorta

• Happy Cooker
New weber kettle, rusting...
« on: July 10, 2019, 10:36:46 AM »
Bought my first Weber, a Performer Deluxe Charcoal in January this year, after a few months of use I went out one day and grabbed the lid handle and noticed it was loose. As I looked closer, I noticed the lid had developed a fair amount of rust around the thru holes for the bolts that fasten the handle to the lid. Weber responded quickly and sent a replacement lid. Today, I went out to fire up the propane and noticed the button would 'click', but no spark was being created (propane was feeding correctly as I was able to ignite it with a lighter). I noticed the same symptom of rust developing near the thru hole for the propane nozzle... I do live in a humid climate, and I do run my grill very hot sometimes (I have a vortex and do high temp sears on steaks, high temp chicken wing cooks, etc.). Is this normal? I'm a bit disappointed to be honest. Looking for feedback from you all, thank you.

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
New weber kettle, rusting...
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2019, 11:34:52 AM »
Porcelain chips/cracks around the handle is very common due to poor design and implementation.  Haven't seen any  chips around the burner  tube on a newer kettle though.

ex_egger_sorta

• Happy Cooker
Re: New weber kettle, rusting...
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2019, 05:46:19 PM »
That's...lame. Well, away it goes (craigslist). PK grills here we come.

LiquidOcelot

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2019, 07:11:35 PM »
Dont do that. Contact weber first at least for the lid. The bowl you dont see, id suggest adding cooking oil to the pop by the lighter tube to help prevent further surface rust

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

qrczak1

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2019, 08:23:39 PM »
Dont do that. Contact weber first at least for the lid. The bowl you dont see, id suggest adding cooking oil to the pop by the lighter tube to help prevent further surface rust

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
The cooker is almost  new so I would still use the warranty to get a new bowl instead of preventing further rusting.

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2019, 08:36:50 PM »
I agree about the lid and bowl. If it were me, I’d inspect the replacements and if they were flawless I’d leave them in the box and keep them for replacements down the road when the current parts are much worse off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.