Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Colored WSM  (Read 997 times)

Walchit

• WKC Performer
Re: Colored WSM
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2019, 09:01:44 AM »
I wonder what it would cost to have one porcelain coated in a different color?

You are likely looking at about $750.  There is a place in Independence that will do it.

Nevermind! Lol

I left my wsm outside and it got rained on, I'm starting to think the reason I haven't seen a WW wsm is because they fill up with water if they get rained on. So I imagine any that get left in the elements long enough to fade end up rusting out from being full of water and ash.
Or has anyone seen a faded black?

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2019, 09:16:52 AM »
WSM-TIP OF THE DAY

After you are done using the WSM, if you are leaving it outside (especially if you don't have a cover or the cover seems to leak), TURN THE CENTER SECION UPSIDE DOWN. 

The top of the center section (which is now facing the bottom bowl, will go OVER the lip of the bowl on the bottom.  This will help prevent water from getting in.  The lid will fit OVER the bottom lip of the bottom section (which is now facing the top).  This also helps prevent water from getting in.  Close the damper on the lid & you will hopefully get very little water inside.  Having the door upside down likely helps too.

I wonder what it would cost to have one porcelain coated in a different color?

You are likely looking at about $750.  There is a place in Independence that will do it.

Nevermind! Lol

I left my wsm outside and it got rained on, I'm starting to think the reason I haven't seen a WW wsm is because they fill up with water if they get rained on. So I imagine any that get left in the elements long enough to fade end up rusting out from being full of water and ash.
Or has anyone seen a faded black?
« Last Edit: July 05, 2019, 09:18:40 AM by PotsieWeber »
regards,
Hal

Walchit

• WKC Performer
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2019, 09:28:19 AM »
That is a good idea. This one had the center section upside down when I bought it too lol.

We had grilled at my brother-in-laws and I didnt feel like loading it up when we left, then I kinda forgot it was over there until it rained all night.

blksabbath

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2019, 12:28:33 PM »
Upside down mid section...my mind is blown.  Such a simple solution to a serious problem.  My brother in law solved his water issue by drilling drain holes in the bottom and pretty much destroyed his brand new WSM.

I wish this would work for smoking in the rain though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2019, 06:53:09 PM »
While I could be wrong, my understanding is that Weber made it the way it is so that the liquid stays inside the kettle when you are smoking & basically drips down the inside instead of the outside & making it look all gross.  If you really wanted to, you could smoke using the center section upside down by drilling new holes & mounting the brackets upside down.  You could PROBABLY even buy a second set of brackets & leave the one set mounted correctly & mount the other set upside down.  Then you could use it right side up, except if you are smoking when it's raining.  Obviously, you'd need to navigate through the extra set of brackets.  You might even be able to flip the door over in the 18" WSM (I think the opening is flat on both the top & bottom, not like the 22"). 

Upside down mid section...my mind is blown.  Such a simple solution to a serious problem.  My brother in law solved his water issue by drilling drain holes in the bottom and pretty much destroyed his brand new WSM.

I wish this would work for smoking in the rain though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
regards,
Hal