Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Weirdest "extras" that came with, or were offered w/Weber purchase  (Read 2421 times)

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
Sometimes, the best things are the "extras" that come with a grill you purchase.  At times, I've purchased grills just because of the "extras" that were included with them.  Sometimes, we know about the "extras", sometimes they are a complete surprise.  For one thing I bought, I noticed a couple weird words in the listing & guessed at the "extra" that was not spelled out in the incomplete sentence.

Somewhat recently, I bought a Weber.  Turns out the Weber was left behind by the tenants in a condo this person owned.

1) before I got there the person mentioned they would throw in a bag of wood chips.  When I got there, it turned out to be an almost full HUMUNGOUS bag of hickory sawdust.  I thought this was strange because I've never heard of sawdust being used.  I wondered if the tenants got a bag that was intended for other purposes & just tried using it for cooking.  I kind of scratched my head, but said "sure" & googled it later to see if it was useful (it is).

2) While loading up the Weber, the landlord asked if I wanted this tree limb that was standing on the patio next to the Weber.  It was around 3 feet tall & about a 12 in diameter, a clean flat cut on the bottom & hunks had been hacked off the top.  So, I looked at it & decided it was oak, &  said "sure".  (Good thing I keep plenty of garbage bags in my wife's SUV or I'd be asking one of you guys if I could sleep in your Ranch kettle for a couple of days). 

3) Then, the landlord says hey, they left some some smoked salmon behind in the freezer, do you want it, & showed me two frozen vacuum packed pices of smoked salmon.  Again, I said "sure".  I don't even like smoked salmon.  On the way home, I saw a homeless panhandler, so I asked him if he liked smoked salmon.  He said "YES".  I told him where I got it, so that he could decide the likelihood that anything might somehow be wrong with it.  He seemed very pleased with it.

Not super weird, because all were at least somewhat related to the Weber I was buying.  I also once bought, off cragislist, a NIB Weber 9890 rotissirie for maybe $5 that the guys said would go out in the trash in a couple days.  While I was there, he asked if I wanted various unrelated stuff that wasn't Weber related.  I wound up taking some things to wind Christmas lights around & round zippered bags they go into along with some other crap that I probably really didn't need. 

What is the weirdest, unusual or even BEST extra you've gotten with a used Weber purchase?
regards,
Hal

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
Re: Weirdest "extras" that came with, or were offered w/Weber purchase
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2019, 04:05:11 AM »
Sometimes those kinds of situations are the best though.  I mean to a rental owner,maybe a relative trying to clean out someones house, or just someone spring cleaning you a car load with you is just one less car load they have to deal with. 

Now I just have to find that kettle hoarders house and rent a trailer...
ISO: 18" & 22" Lime, 22" Cado, Plum SSP, Clean & Colored 18" for Midget Mod, and the usual Grails.

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2019, 04:30:30 AM »
I bought a 73-74 MBH Red last summer.  The grill had not been used in some time.  The underside of the lid was covered edge to edge with fuzzy, multicolored mold.   That was the weirdiest "extra" I've had.  I needed a mask to scrape it off!

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2019, 10:00:53 AM »
At least you didn't get a leg, which I remembered reading about a number of years back.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finders_Keepers_(2015_film)
« Last Edit: July 07, 2019, 07:00:42 PM by PotsieWeber »
regards,
Hal

Grillagin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2019, 08:48:53 PM »
Nothing weird for me, yet.  Just a bag of Royal Oak, a couple 1 lb. propane tanks, and a condiment rack that needs to be rewelded.

CurtP

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2019, 07:11:09 AM »
Many years ago I went to a little mom and pops hardware store that offered free fuel with a grill purchase.  I bought a cheap Charbroil gasser.  The free fuel was a small bag of Match Light.

LiquidOcelot

• WKC Performer
Nothing weird yet. But i have bought at least 5 kettles only for the accessories they came with

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

bladz

• WKC Ranger
Picked up a WW 18”’with a huge mouse nest in it.  This person has a real mouse problem because the non Weber grill next to it had an even bigger nest.  Oh yeah, also  an electric coal starter inside.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

racedvl

• WKC Brave
I just bought this performer,  and open the lid and there was a SS wok. Nice extra that I wasn't expecting. Usually just get chimneys and charcoal.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Red_5_Wrangler

• WKC Ranger
I just bought this performer,  and open the lid and there was a SS wok. Nice extra that I wasn't expecting. Usually just get chimneys and charcoal.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

That would be awesome! I use our wok in the GBS all the time but this would be so nice! Performer is sweet too!
ISO - CMist Go Anywhere, the cheif, yellow

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2019, 07:45:19 PM »
I picked up a MT (black) in combination with another Weber for a nice price for the pair.  When I picked it up, I found out the black MT came with the chimney, but also the regular cooking grate, the gourmet grate, the cast iron insert & the cast iron wok.  It might have also come with one of those lid bales that you hang on the side, but that might have come with a different grill.
regards,
Hal

Walchit

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2019, 03:09:27 AM »
Idk if I have got one yet that wasnt half full of half burnt coals, it would be weird if someone dumped their grill out b4 I bought it lol

Rub

• WKC Ranger
    • Swamp Boys BBQ
Tow behind Weber [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
In the market for unicorns to complete my collection: Ambassador, Plainsman, Meat Cut, Custom, Blue 18 MBH, Green 18 MBH

swamprb

• WKC Performer
Fireplace bellows
Electric element charcoal starters
Starter fluid
Tuscan Grill
Welders gloves

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2019, 04:59:23 PM »
With a redhead I bought, I received a rotisserie ring with 3 motors of various brands.  One had some screws added to it so it would fit the old style ring with the old style motor mount.
It also came with 3 electric charcoal starters, one or two were in original packaging.
It also came with a basket for the rotisserie that her husband allegedly made.
For some reason, the old large rib rack that was in the picture was missing.  When I asked about that, she got kind of quiet.

With the brown offset handle SJ with wooden legs (that caused me to find the WKC), it came with a whole bunch of little packages of some weird brand of charcoal that you cannot find on google any more.  Each package was in plastic.  You are supposed to light the plastic package and that burns to light the coals.  It does work, but you get black smoke at first.  At the end, the ash seems a bit strange, like there was a bunch of dried clay or dirt in the briquets or something.  Didn't notice any unusual flavor added to the food.
regards,
Hal