Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Treating/Removing Surface Rust on the Inside of Legs or Tubing  (Read 533 times)

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
I just recently disassembled a Ranch frame and found surface rust on the inside of the frame.  It isn't the easiest to reach so I was wondering if anyone had any ideas to at least stop the rust from getting worst or removing it.

I have thought of trying to find some kind of rust blocking/sealing paint and spraying it in heavy amounts.  Attaching some steel wool to a string and flossing it back in forth to get rid of the rust and then just blasting a good amount of paint on the inside of the tubing.  I know someone might mention electrolysis but I don't really have shops around here for that and the water tub for it would have to be huge.  Any ideas are welcome, especially if you have had good success with it. 

I am not so concerned as to what it looks like on the inside as much as I am just looking to stop it from getting worst so the parts have a long life. 
ISO: 18" & 22" Lime, 22" Cado, Plum SSP, Clean & Colored 18" for Midget Mod, and the usual Grails.

Cellar2ful

Re: Treating/Removing Surface Rust on the Inside of Legs or Tubing
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2019, 12:41:57 PM »

Evapo-Rust can be used to remove any rust inside the frame.  If you can dismantle the frame, then the individual pieces could be placed into a long tray and the Evapo-Rust poured into it, covering the pieces.  The Evapo-Rust would fill inside the tubing, removing the rust.  Finding a long tray to fit the longer frame pieces would be the challenge.  Maybe a wallpaper tray used for soaking wallpaper to apply. If you can find a way to temporarily seal one end of the tubing, you can pour the Evapo-Rust into the tubing.  Let it sit for a day, then rinse it off with a garden hose and let dry in the sunlight. 
« Last Edit: June 16, 2019, 12:43:50 PM by Cellar2ful »
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2019, 04:06:12 PM »
Does evapo-rust harm the existing paint any? I could probably find a way to seal gaps in the tubing temporarily and fill the inside. Finding a tray and buying enough of the evapo-rust might be a challenge otherwise.
ISO: 18" & 22" Lime, 22" Cado, Plum SSP, Clean & Colored 18" for Midget Mod, and the usual Grails.

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2019, 06:56:44 PM »
I'm curious if anyone here has tried citric acid for removing rust & how it worked out for them.
regards,
Hal

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2019, 07:18:26 PM »
I think I read about someone that said it works to some degree, but can be harmful to some paints/finishes. 

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2019, 07:49:58 PM »
There are multiple acids that can be used, do you recall if it was actually citric acid?  It is generally one of the more mild ones & they actually sell it in the baking aisle at some stores.
regards,
Hal

Cellar2ful

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2019, 07:55:01 PM »
This is a quote from the Evapo-Rust website: "Anodizing will not be removed. Powder coating and paint will not be removed as long as the paints do not contain oxides".

Here's a link to the FAQS on Evapo-Rust from their website

https://evapo-rust.com/evapo-rust-faqs/

I have only used Evapo-Rust on metal wheels that have been really badly rusted.  I mean horribly rusted so that I could't see if there was any paint left on the wheels.   
« Last Edit: June 16, 2019, 07:57:38 PM by Cellar2ful »
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

RyanRLS

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2019, 03:16:36 AM »
Evaporust works great for rivets, have not tried it on the enamel but would recommend a test first.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2019, 04:20:29 AM »
Well right now the "plan" appears to be to seal off the drainage holes and fill the frame with either evapo-rust or something like Rust-Oleum's Rust Reformer.  The Rust Reformer might be the better option given that it could provide some future protection.  The evapo-rust might require a second coating of something to protect the newly cleaned metal.  I am probably going to follow varekai's advice and look into powder coating the whole frame.  A local quoted me $125 already.  Wish it was cheaper, but with limited personal time and not wanting to worry about the existing paint job and exterior rust it kind of seems like a good option to provide a long life paint job.

charred

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2019, 07:26:26 AM »
i'm a devotee of Evapo-Rust. I've used it on every part of a kettle, with no ill effects. ymmv
hopelessly, helplessly, happily addicted to a shipload of Webers