Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Midget modded my 18" today.  (Read 889 times)

RemoGaggi

• Smokey Joe
Midget modded my 18" today.
« on: June 10, 2019, 05:14:32 PM »
Thanks to Troy and all those that detailed their midget mods.  I've had an 18" that I got free awhile back, but it was missing the grate and I didn't want to pay $17 for a new grate.  I've been waiting for another "free" one to come along or find a cheap used on with a grate.  Today, I found a donor for $10 and I decided to use more than just the donor grate.  I cut the legs & triangle and converted my 18" to a midget.  I also drilled out the handle from the lid of the donor and attached it onto my 18" for easy lifting.  (I know the handles don't match but it works great!).  I'm liking the size as it's easier to store and easier to move around now.

Dual Handles!
kweel meaning

18" Middy & 26" Kettle, SnS, Summit S-620, Broilmaster D3CP

solidgoldstein

• WKC Brave
Re: Midget modded my 18" today.
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2019, 05:30:48 PM »
Looks good my man, congrats!!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
Midget modded my 18" today.
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2019, 06:56:40 PM »
Oh yeah!!! That will work! Looks good Mike. Really like the ash catcher.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

RemoGaggi

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2019, 07:51:40 PM »
Thanks!  I got lucky today with the $10 donor.  I felt a little bad at first sacrificing the donor, but I needed the metal handle and legs so it had to be done.  I kept the original legs and have another triangle to put it back to stock (+ the extra handle) just in case.  But, I'm not a Weber parts hoarder...  ;)

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2019, 08:13:34 PM »
nice job
regards,
Hal

Marzipan

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2019, 08:22:19 AM »
couple questions...

1) why does one want something so short?
2) how'd you get the ash catcher on the 18"?
Power Corrupts, But Absolute Power Is Kinda Cool!

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2019, 09:32:00 AM »
He already answered number 1.  "I'm liking the size as it's easier to store and easier to move around now."

Probably also just like it to look different or give an excuse for owning another.  The old SJ Platinum (the Outrider or old style Jumbo Joe) are just about the right height to cook on while sitting in a lawn chair with a beer.  This is probably a little higher & even better for "tending" the grill while sitting down having a beer.

couple questions...

regards,
Hal

RemoGaggi

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2019, 01:56:53 PM »
couple questions...

Good questions:  Why so short?  I keep the 18" in one of my sheds and with the stock legs, I have to keep it on the floor.  With the short legs, I can just set it on top of something (like my table saw) in the shed and it'll open some floor space.  Additionally, to take camping, I can just lay the shortened 18" on top of other stuff in my truck rather than fiddling around removing the legs to make it fit in the bed of my truck.

The ash catcher? I found it on ebay awhile back for around $25.  I personally, HATE the original saucer pan (on this and the 22"), so I got the ash catcher.   :)

Marzipan

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2019, 03:26:28 PM »
couple questions...

Good questions:  Why so short?  I keep the 18" in one of my sheds and with the stock legs, I have to keep it on the floor.  With the short legs, I can just set it on top of something (like my table saw) in the shed and it'll open some floor space.  Additionally, to take camping, I can just lay the shortened 18" on top of other stuff in my truck rather than fiddling around removing the legs to make it fit in the bed of my truck.

The ash catcher? I found it on ebay awhile back for around $25.  I personally, HATE the original saucer pan (on this and the 22"), so I got the ash catcher.   :)

thanks for answering Remo...how hard is it to attach the ash catcher? I'd love an 18" with an ash catcher!!!

RemoGaggi

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2019, 06:48:41 PM »
couple questions...

thanks for answering Remo...how hard is it to attach the ash catcher? I'd love an 18" with an ash catcher!!!

The ash catcher is made for the 18" and had 3 clips, one for each leg holder.  It just snaps in.  Here's a close-up
citibank address near me

I believe this is what I bought last year, but it was a little cheaper at that time.  This is on Ebay right now:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Weber-65131-Ash-Catcher-Assembly-for-18-1-2-One-Touch-Kettle-Grills/372147177212?epid=6017721910&hash=item56a5b346fc:g:VAYAAOSwzppaGJuf

Marzipan

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2019, 01:56:30 PM »
what was your 18"? Smokey Joe or Original?

RemoGaggi

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2019, 03:28:43 PM »
what was your 18"? Smokey Joe or Original?

My 18" is an original 18" kettle. 

Marzipan

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2019, 04:15:58 PM »
so it was easy to add on then...doesn't interfere with the vent handle?

I wonder why they didn't put the more advanced bottom bent that the Original 18" and it's bigger brothers have. makes cleaning the JJ a bit harder. granted, being the idea was portability, I guess they thought you would just dump it when you're done at the beach or park.