Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: 1971 Woodard Cart Find  (Read 1450 times)

SixZeroFour

1971 Woodard Cart Find
« on: June 09, 2019, 10:20:42 PM »

After a fairly long drought in the Weber department I was able to score somewhat of a unicorn for these parts... an all original Woodard cart that was purchased new by the owner here in Vancouver back in 1971.

The backstory is a bit fun as well. I got a call about 2 weeks ago from a fellow employee letting me know that an older gentleman had came into the shop and purchased a new gas grill, but mentioned that he had an old kettle with a table that he was looking to sell. She was aware of my kettle sickness and kindly passed my info along in hopes of putting the two of us in touch. At this point I was envisioning in my head an MBH of some sorts perhaps with a sidekick table? (which would be great! and also rare for the area) A day or two later he had a friend take some pictures and emailed them over to me and I was a bit blown away to say the least. Later that day I received a call from the owner - a gentleman named Uli who turned out to be an extremely nice guy and sharp as a tack! He said he recalled purchasing the grill from a high end outdoor patio shop in 1971. We had a good chat and he talked of all the roasts and amazing charcoal cooked meals he had made over the years. In the end we made arrangements for me to come and check it out in person later that week and a deal was made to take it home!

The grill is Pat Pending so ballpark production of 69-70 which makes sense with a sale date of 71'. The socketless kettle bowl is in great shape although there is some fading to both sections. The original cooking grate and ash pan are in excellent shape and must have been cleaned religiously throughout its life to have stayed so clean. The wheels and rubber treads are also in incredible shape so no need for alternates or replacement treads. Charcoal grate will be replaced and the cutting board will be remade or restored but that's about it!

I will post some updates once its all cleaned up and in tip top shape 8)

Thx for looking

W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

Cellar2ful

Re: 1971 Woodard Cart Find
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2019, 10:30:08 PM »

Congratulations Matt.  Pretty amazing shape and probably the best original condition one I've seen.
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

RottiGuy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2019, 11:42:00 PM »
Beauty score!!!

Sent from my SM-G950W using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

solidgoldstein

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2019, 02:27:44 AM »
Holy crap! What a find, I love these Woodard 18s! Congrats, looks fantastic

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2019, 03:34:33 AM »
Unicorns are real!   Awesome find.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2019, 03:58:25 AM »
She is stunning, congrats Matt
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

RRRanger99

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2019, 04:10:08 AM »
Stunningly beautiful! And then some!

brewtownbeatdown

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2019, 05:34:53 AM »
Congrats!!!  Wow!!! 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Obviously looking for a Glen Blue (who isn’t?😂).

Looking for anything Happy Cooker, including any re-branded as Montgomery Ward.  I’ve amassed a nice collection, but I’m missing a few still.  Let me know if you can help a fella out🤞

Walchit

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2019, 06:54:55 AM »
I think I saw one of these on Craigslist, but it was a really bad pic and I thought it was something homemade. I just spent hours looking and Idk if it sold or if I just can't find it. I don't remember the title either.

Red_5_Wrangler

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2019, 07:40:05 AM »
Is the cart originally black? Does the kettle have tabs like the sequoia 22s or does it just sit on the handles? Oh and congrats!
ISO - CMist Go Anywhere, the cheif, yellow

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2019, 07:43:27 AM »
Congrats on the score, Matt! Looks to be in amazing shape! Did he happen to mention if the cutting board came with the cart when purchased?  ...and that is the original ash pan? Interesting....

Is the cart originally black? Does the kettle have tabs like the sequoia 22s or does it just sit on the handles? Oh and congrats!

I have one of these, as well. No tabs on the kettle.  My educated guess is that the original color is black. I'm sure @Matt can confirm that.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2019, 07:45:44 AM by Bob BQ »
BBQ:it's what's for dinner. Grail: 18” Custom - "The Californian"

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2019, 11:32:48 AM »
amazing story and condition on that woodard!

inkaddictedchef1

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2019, 12:00:58 PM »
What a score Matt!!!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Rub

• WKC Ranger
    • Swamp Boys BBQ
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2019, 12:37:49 PM »
That’s a great story and an amazing score. It couldn’t have gone to a better person to find its second life either. Congratulations!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
In the market for unicorns to complete my collection: Ambassador, Plainsman, Meat Cut, Custom, Blue 18 MBH, Green 18 MBH

Red_5_Wrangler

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2019, 12:44:20 PM »
I think I saw one of these on Craigslist, but it was a really bad pic and I thought it was something homemade. I just spent hours looking and Idk if it sold or if I just can't find it. I don't remember the title either.
http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/lookie-what-i-got-for-$35-with-grate-agent-assistance/
ISO - CMist Go Anywhere, the cheif, yellow