Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: How accurate is the Master Touch lid thermometer?  (Read 639 times)

dogman

• WKC Brave
How accurate is the Master Touch lid thermometer?
« on: May 24, 2019, 05:30:31 AM »
Has anybody checked this against a reliable thermometer? How close is it? Thanks.
Beer! It's what's for dinner...

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
Re: How accurate is the Master Touch lid thermometer?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2019, 04:24:06 PM »
I have heard that it is probably within 30 to 50 degrees of the actual temperature on the grill top, but I can't say I have tested this myself.  Those who would know for certain would have a wireless thermometer set up that sits right on top of the grill grates.  If you have a wireless thermometer or a friend who does you could give it a try and see what you find. 
ISO: 18" & 22" Lime, 22" Cado, Plum SSP, Clean & Colored 18" for Midget Mod, and the usual Grails.

Davescprktl

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2019, 04:37:45 PM »
I would not trust it at all.  It is only giving you temp in the dome and not on the grate where you really need it.  I would suggest getting an oven thermometer or a system with probes like the Thermoworks Smoke or a Maverick system. 
OKP Crimson, 22" H Code Brownie, SJS Lime, 22" CB Stacker, Red Q2200, Performer Deluxe CB slate blue

"If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?"  H. Simpson

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2019, 05:44:48 PM »
I have an ANALOG (dial) thermometer I put on the top grate of a WSM.  It always seems close enough that I don't always bother.  I don't recall if I've ever used it on any of my kettles with thermometers.
regards,
Hal

1ROW

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2019, 05:54:56 PM »
I've done a boil test with several weber lid therms and they were all spot on. However, as previously mentioned, the difference between the dome and the grate can be 15-50 degrees. I use the lid therm more as a guide post of what my grill is doing rather than a hard and fast indicator of actual grate temperature.

dogman

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2019, 01:43:26 PM »
Thanks guys. I'm planning to cook mostly fish and it's a lot easier to tell than meat so I wasn't thinking about a probe thermometer. And I realize because of the position it's not the temp on the grate.

What I didn't realize is what you guys said about the temp being so much lower than at the grate. I guess I'll wing it for now but eventually get some kind of thermometer.

dogman

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2019, 03:59:38 AM »
Ok, I went ahead and bought a thermapen. I still need to get a thermometer for the grill. Damn, this is starting to become another black hole for money like all the other hobbies in the world.