Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: wire bristles hazard?  (Read 3136 times)

Marzipan

• WKC Brave
Re: wire bristles hazard?
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2019, 12:39:11 PM »
also...for how many decades have these bristle brushes been used by grillers around the world...with literally no issues? I think this is an exception to the rule that the wires come out, stick to a grill and then the food. I would suspect one would find it in their mouth while masticating their meat, if something did happen to leak through.
Power Corrupts, But Absolute Power Is Kinda Cool!

dogman

• WKC Brave
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2019, 12:40:16 PM »
My favorite grill brush is actually a stainless steel paint scraper. This one is about 7 years old. Some bristle loss but they are big ass bristles.  I've also used welding scale brushes but my fav is the paint scraper.

Plus, the varnish seals the pores of the meat and keeps it moist, which reduces the risk of burning and shrinkage of that AA brisket :P
« Last Edit: May 26, 2019, 12:42:06 PM by dogman »
Beer! It's what's for dinner...

cigarman20

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2019, 01:33:27 PM »
[emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
Grails- ‘63 Fleetwood, Ambassador

dogman

• WKC Brave
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2019, 01:58:41 PM »
I would suspect one would find it in their mouth while masticating their meat

Hey! This is supposed to be a family show! Oh, masticating ;) Never mind. That oughta give us something to chew on...
Beer! It's what's for dinner...

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2019, 07:44:27 AM »
I have never had any issues with my Weber 12 in. three sided wire bristle brush. Perfect.
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

CurtP

• WKC Brave
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2019, 07:58:38 AM »
I don't care for the continuous loop wire safety brushes - I don't think they do a very good job cleaning.  I use a Brustech B108C and replace it when it starts showing wear.  I also wipe the grate with a paper towel/vegetable oil after brushing.  I won't use Chinese made brushes.

foshizzle

• WKC Brave
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2020, 08:01:36 PM »
Bumping this up for awareness. Just cooked up some nice burgers and while eating felt something pricking the roof of my mouth. Had a pretty good idea what it was. Tried finding it for about 5 minutes and also trying to rinse it out while not swallowing. Was a little scary specially after reading stories about people that have swallowed a bristle and had serious medical issues. My wife came home and was able to take a look and the damn bristle is stuck in my tongue (sorry no pics).  Hopefully none of us swallowed any.
I’ve read these stories in the past but didn’t think much of it. Now I do. Needless to say I threw away all my brushes with bristles.
The brush I was using was probably just under a year old and that was probably the reason but will still stay away from wire brushes.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Dc_smoke309

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2020, 01:44:04 AM »

Bumping this up for awareness. Just cooked up some nice burgers and while eating felt something pricking the roof of my mouth. Had a pretty good idea what it was. Tried finding it for about 5 minutes and also trying to rinse it out while not swallowing. Was a little scary specially after reading stories about people that have swallowed a bristle and had serious medical issues. My wife came home and was able to take a look and the damn bristle is stuck in my tongue (sorry no pics).  Hopefully none of us swallowed any.
I’ve read these stories in the past but didn’t think much of it. Now I do. Needless to say I threw away all my brushes with bristles.
The brush I was using was probably just under a year old and that was probably the reason but will still stay away from wire brushes.

Wow that’s gotta be a scary . I haven’t used a wire brush in a long time . And after this story I can say I won’t ever again .  Glad that you are ok!  The price we pay for good food!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2020, 03:21:16 AM »
I have a stainless steel brush that has the round coils.  They aren't great but on the other side there is a 3 inch flat scraper and the sides of the scraper can fit between the grates.  It works fairly well and I don't need to worry about the wires falling out.  Between that and just burning the crud off I am good.

Sent from my SM-G925R4 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
ISO: 18" & 22" Lime, 22" Cado, Plum SSP, Clean & Colored 18" for Midget Mod, and the usual Grails.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
wire bristles hazard?
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2020, 04:35:35 AM »
Glad nobody got hurt. I haven’t used a wire brush of any kind for 10 years and don’t miss it.

I just use an old spatula. Give the grate a scrape and sometimes use the corner of the spatula to go between.  Works great.

However, there is still a risk if you go to other people’s houses for cookouts. It’s tough to avoid entirely unless you only eat grilled food at home.

« Last Edit: January 03, 2020, 04:39:07 AM by HoosierKettle »

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2020, 05:17:30 AM »
Can you show us the brush so we all can see which one not to buy?

You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometimes you get what you need

29tx

• WKC Brave
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2020, 04:15:36 PM »

I've got a scraper  on a screw driver handle like this. It works well enough to knock the big chunks off.

foshizzle

• WKC Brave
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2020, 07:13:20 PM »
It was one of these brushes.
I was cooking on GrillGrates at the time.

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2020, 07:02:34 AM »
Is that a weber brush?

IMO the most common things to cause brush bristles too break off is either

A. It's a cheap brush.
B. The user it's too rough with the brush , pushing down on it too hard,  or trying to clean between the spokes.
C. Never cleaning the muck and carbon out of the brush.

The Weber 6493 brush is the best one on the Market. I've been using mine since either 2012 or 13 , and while there's been plenty of bellyaching around here since then, I am very confident it's never had a problem with breaking apart.

In my opinion having a bristle break off, become dislodged, or get swallowed and injure somebody is extremely rare.

You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometimes you get what you need

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2020, 02:15:17 PM »
It is rare but it can happen. A brush is just an unnecessary item imo.