Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Any turkey tips for the kettle ???  (Read 768 times)

getlego

• WKC Brave
Any turkey tips for the kettle ???
« on: May 23, 2019, 04:47:46 PM »
My friend got a free turkey from work. It’s 12 pounds and I’m going to try and cook it on the kettle Sunday.

I’m just trying to keep it simple for my first cook. I’m thinking about rubbing it wit a bit of olive oil and some salt pepper garlic. No brine or injections. Also no stuffing.

About how long to cook a 12 pounder ?
Foil it or flip it?
Tie it up?

Also I don’t want to slow smoke it. I’m thinking 325-350

Some of you guys might know something about cooking a bird on a kettle.

I’ve watched a lot of YouTube videos but I get lost in all the fancy stuff.

I’m thinking super simple and quick.

Then eat and drink and watch the races

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

jd

• WKC Brave
Re: Any turkey tips for the kettle ???
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2019, 04:52:38 PM »
spatchcock it would be a good way to go
22.5 Copper kettle
Blue Performer
Copper Performer

getlego

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2019, 04:55:19 PM »

spatchcock it would be a good way to go

I’ve never done that but it looks easy enough. Always wanted to try it. I think I’ll wait for a chicken though. I don’t want to screw up my friends bird. We’ve been waiting since Christmas to eat this thing.

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2019, 05:46:21 PM »
Put a pan underneath and charcoal baskets on each side. Follow this chart.

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2019, 04:27:19 AM »
Just what @Mike in Roseville said above. it just works period
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2019, 05:19:50 AM »
It works very well. There was an old guy at our cabin association that used to cook Thanksgiving turkeys. He had 6 kettles and modified his briquette counts slightly to account for the elevation.

My dad would always help with those cooks and just marveled at how every bird was perfect, each and every time.

I’m almost certain that the briquettes you add to each side, each hour, are unlit.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2019, 05:34:47 AM »
That’s similar to what I have done but I don’t use baskets or count briquettes. The easiest best turkey I have ever done was olive oil and Tony’s seasoning. I place the turkey on a rack and in a baking pan uncovered. I dump a full chimney on one side and put the turkey on the other. I crack the bottom vent and leave top vent open. I cook the turkey breast side down the first half of the cook and right side up the second half. This keeps the top from getting too dark and I think it keeps the breast juicier.

It’s super easy either of the ways mentioned here.

I pull the turkey when the breast reads 157-160 and let it rest. Tender and juicy is the way and the light.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: May 24, 2019, 05:36:32 AM by HoosierKettle »

getlego

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2019, 09:11:35 PM »
My only question is .... add coals after an hour. When does that begin? Seeing as Weber says to let the coals sit for 30 minutes to ash over. So is it one hour after the light or one hour after they ash over. I’ve always been confused on that.

Cellar2ful

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2019, 09:46:00 PM »
My only question is .... add coals after an hour. When does that begin? Seeing as Weber says to let the coals sit for 30 minutes to ash over. So is it one hour after the light or one hour after they ash over. I’ve always been confused on that.

You add the coals 1 hour after you put the bird on.  If your using a Weber chimney, your briquettes should be ready to dump in your baskets, roughly 15 minutes after lighting.  If your waiting for them to be all gray, your waiting to long to dump them.  About 10 minutes after lighting them, shake the chimney like a chef flip/shakes a frying pan.  May take a little while to get the hang of it but it redistributes the lit coals and speeds up the lighting of all the briquettes.  They don't have to be totally all gray, just partially.  They will continue to light while heating your kettle.

This is also recommended by Weber -  After dumping your coals in the baskets, put your cooking grate on, then the lid and preheat your kettle for 10 minutes before putting any food on.

In that 1980's Owners manual that @Mike in Roseville posted, Weber says to figure 11 minutes per pound when cooking a turkey(unstuffed). I know because that is my manual depicted in that photo.  Using that formula, your bird should be done in 132 minutes.  I would recommend checking the breast meat at 1 hour and 50 minutes. You can always cook longer if needed but you can't take off temperature.  As @HoosierKettle recommended, pull the bird as close to 157 degrees as you can.  Then let it rest for at least 30 minutes before carving. 
« Last Edit: May 24, 2019, 09:50:37 PM by Cellar2ful »
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

getlego

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2019, 09:49:30 PM »
Ahh I get it now. Dump coals , food on and then an hour. That makes sense. Ya have to agree it’s simple but vague.