Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: recommended Jumbo Joe tools and accessories?  (Read 1091 times)

Marzipan

• WKC Brave
recommended Jumbo Joe tools and accessories?
« on: May 17, 2019, 03:01:35 PM »
in a thread below this one (at below right now) about chimney starters, everyone is recommending the Weber, so done.

but what about the charcoal baskets? Weber's or Adrenalin's Sear n Slow?

how about a coal rake? what does one look for in a coal rake? LoL!

and a pizza oven kit, seems there are a few options out there now.

and a rotisserie, I'd like to do a chicken and/or roast that way.

read you should swap out for a hinged grate right away. I know there are several cast iron options available, but I'm on a budget and they're more then the grill costs, LoL!

I was also recommended to get the Vortex Mini, so looking to see where I can buy one of those in Canada.

what else would you recommend?

heat gloves...do you use them?

tongs? flippers? thermometers?

perhaps this can get stickied so it can be referred to when others ask the same question in the future. I doubt this is the first time this has been asked!

« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 04:03:57 PM by Marzipan »
Power Corrupts, But Absolute Power Is Kinda Cool!

jkolantern

• WKC Ranger
Re: recommended Jumbo Joe tools and accessories?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2019, 04:00:18 PM »
Thermopen. Accessory #1
#2 good pair of tongs
#3 charcoal
#4 meat
Start buying used grills... you'll get baskets, chimneys,  etc..
Good luck

Marzipan

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2019, 04:09:25 PM »
alas, I'm remote and no used grills. I checked. :P

never heard of thermapen, interesting looking. thanks! :)

so many types of tongs...guessing longer, so you don't singe the fingers and fully stainless steel.

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2019, 05:03:23 PM »
In addition to a nice pair of stainless steel tongs that I bought for food, I also have a really CHEAP crappy LONG pair of tongs is useful if I want to pick up & move an individual hot coal or add an individual piece of charcoal to a particular area.

One of the guys on here says he will buy an old hoe at a garage sale when it is a buck or two & cut the handle down to make a cheap coal rake.  So, now my wife gets irritated when I tell people that I'm looking for a cheap old hoe  :o
regards,
Hal

Shoestringshop

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2019, 03:48:53 AM »

One of the guys on here says he will buy an old hoe at a garage sale when it is a buck or two & cut the handle down to make a cheap coal rake.  So, now my wife gets irritated when I tell people that I'm looking for a cheap old hoe  :o

LMAO!!!
Wife said "No more GRILLS in this house!" So I bought a 2nd house!

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2019, 04:25:32 AM »
I just bought these heat resistant gloves and they appear to be highly recommended.  I will take them out for the first time this weekend.  I think a good pair of gloves helps a lot.  With these I should be able to pick things right off the grill if needed (coals, grates, foil wrapped food, and etc.).  As a plus you can use them in the kitchen too and be safer if you have any heavy dishes or cast iron. 

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ZORPCGG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

For the charcoal baskets if you get one for free or cheap you can try the coal baskets out and see if you like them.  They came with one of my grills and I used them for the slow n sear method of cooking steak that Adrenaline gives a tutorial on.  However, if it is a must have for you everyone seems to like the Adrenaline.  Its on my list of things to buy, but it isn't mandatory for me just yet.
ISO: 18" & 22" Lime, 22" Cado, Plum SSP, Clean & Colored 18" for Midget Mod, and the usual Grails.

LiquidOcelot

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2019, 05:22:04 AM »
I 2nd charcoal tongs over the rake. I have the weber rake and i find myself using the tongs more often than not. Id just get webers charcoal baskets theres onky 14 bucks and get the job done. If you want a large basket multiple guys here have made one larger basket to fit the size of their grills using the weber baskets

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

YardBurner

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2019, 07:23:19 AM »

LMAO!!!
And I still buy them every time I see one.  I cut em down and give to friends.

Sent from my XT1650 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

cookingjnj

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2019, 12:02:43 PM »
I use an old BBQ spatula as a coal rake.  Seems to work perfect for me.  Other than that, I agree with tongs, some type of thermapen, charcoal and meat as the key tools needed to start cooking on the pit.  With a kettle of course.

Walchit

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2019, 02:45:43 PM »
I bought a 20 dollar digital thermometer from Wal-Mart, and then got the replacement probes. I put one in the meat and one at grate level, then I just unplug one and plug the other in to check temps. Bluetooth or wireless would be nice so I wouldn't have to go outside.

And I also use tongs to adjust charcoal, they were my good pair, Idk when I decided to use them on the coal lol.

wgjones3

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2019, 07:47:34 PM »
I’d highly recommend the Weber CharBaskets, they fit the Jumbo Joe perfectly. Both baskets in the middle of the grill is perfect for reverse searing steak, one basket is perfect for indirect cooking.

Tongs are a must and I also use a large Rada spatula. Also a wire grill brush to clean the grate.

CurtP

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2019, 04:55:19 AM »
I've got a set of stainless charcoal baskets that I prefer over the Weber baskets:  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GF5DG0Y
I prefer stainless steel hinged grates, but they're not absolutely necessary.  I do not like cast iron grates.
I use welding gloves:  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0085JCM1S
Brushtech B108C:  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000RFA3UK
Ash rake:  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071ZZMCMM
Another vote for Thermopen.  Sign up for the newsletter, they have sales on certain colors and open box often.  There's a 15% sale going on now.
Cooking tweezers:  https://agrussell.com/knife/Cooking-Tweezers--HK-14
If you have a restaurant supply store near you, that's a great place to get inexpensive tongs.

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2019, 02:13:35 PM »
Thanks for the tip @YardBurner

LMAO!!!
And I still buy them every time I see one.  I cut em down and give to friends.

Sent from my XT1650 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
regards,
Hal

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2019, 02:25:34 PM »
Thank you @Shoestringshop.  It is nice to know that I've amused someone in addition to myself.

LMAO!!!
regards,
Hal

Marzipan

• WKC Brave
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2019, 09:15:28 AM »
I live in the middle of nowhere...I've got nothing for specialty shops near me but for a 9 or 10 hour drive away, and even there, my options will be limited.

I've read that the thermopen is considered the best, but the price for performance isn't worth the premium. Business Insider likes these:
https://www.businessinsider.com/best-meat-thermometer