Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Something may be off here...  (Read 4892 times)

Chasing_smoke

• WKC Ranger
Something may be off here...
« on: June 10, 2013, 12:10:00 PM »
So I went to buy this today,

Got there and the guy told me he had sold a grill yesterday because he had two that were both the same. He never mentioned it on the ad or told me me this when we talked.

This is what I got, the date code tells me it's a 1993 with the letter "p"

But the bowl has three vents,

Am I really looking at a 93 or is this a mismatched bowl and lid? The handle is  wood on both so that tells me it's newer than 81 I thought they cut the 3 vent style much earlier than that.  But I'm not completely sure on all the manufacturing changes yet.

Either way I need two new handles and to bend the lid handle back into shape without hurting the lid. Anyone have ideas on that? Needs an ash catcher as well and a charcoal grate.

Thanks for the help guys!

"my kettle is more powerful it will do almost anything."
MH Copper mist, Daisy Wheel P, Homer Simpson OTG, Blue 18, Blue Mastertouch, SJS, Genesis Sliver B, Red 18 Bar-b-q-kettle Pat Pending, Copper performer

cbpeck

• WKC Ranger
Re: Something may be off here...
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2013, 12:15:03 PM »
It has got to be mismatched, among its other problems. It can be fixed, though. I just hope it didn't cost too much.

Chasing_smoke

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2013, 12:16:36 PM »
I gave $25 for since it wasn't what he had put up online. My brother needs a kettle so I can come back on vacation and cook on something good.

MH Copper mist, Daisy Wheel P, Homer Simpson OTG, Blue 18, Blue Mastertouch, SJS, Genesis Sliver B, Red 18 Bar-b-q-kettle Pat Pending, Copper performer

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2013, 12:26:38 PM »
It's more than likely original. Daisy wheel kettles were still an option through 1999. They called them "Bar-B-Kettle.... The Basic Weber Kettle" by the 1990s. It can be saved most definitely. A good bath and some new handles and grates... Your in business! :)

Chasing_smoke

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2013, 12:30:06 PM »
Ok thanks Craig! I didn't know that, my brother is happy with it. We are going to clean it up tonight when he gets off work. I couldn't let it sit in that dark lonely basement if his any longer. It was calling me to be put to use!

cbpeck

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2013, 01:22:00 PM »
I thought they could've easily been mismatched because he "had two that were both the same." My CL instict tells me the guy who came to buy the first one may have taken the newer bowl and the less damaged lid. We may not ever know.  :P

Chasing_smoke

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2013, 01:25:15 PM »
That was my thought too, but the other bowl had a metal handle so it was a pre 1981 if I read the age guide right. Which puts this lid out of the question. Either way it's getting the treatment and put to use lol. Never realized they made daisy wheels until 1999. I love the history and learning that comes from this forum!

Bosibus

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2013, 01:59:45 PM »
I picked up the pictured one on Friday.  It was a B code 1980.  I am restoring it for my dad for fathers day.  Will have pics up later!

Chasing_smoke

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2013, 02:01:34 PM »
Awesome! He was an odd gentlemen lol could have let me know the one I was coming for wasn't the same. Did he try to sell you a bike too?

Bosibus

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2013, 02:04:30 PM »
Nope they matched.  The guy told me he originally had 4 that he was getting rid of.

Bosibus

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2013, 02:05:01 PM »
Haha yes on the bike.  Barry was def a character.

DaGoomba

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2013, 06:02:58 AM »
Hey guys can both of you show pics of both those kettles cleaned up/restored? I am curious to see how they turned out.

Thanks!

Chasing_smoke

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2013, 06:04:37 AM »
I'm almost done with mine, my brother and I are going to grab grates and cook on it today. I will post some in a few hours.

Bosibus

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2013, 11:50:52 AM »
Yeah I will, still got some last steps to finish

mikeinctown

• WKC Brave
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2013, 11:55:05 AM »
My date code 1991 still has the three bottom vents.