Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Which chimney?  (Read 1077 times)

dogman

• WKC Brave
Which chimney?
« on: May 15, 2019, 11:37:37 AM »
Can anybody give me an idea about the capacity of the small and large Weber chimneys? Is the small one good enough for a full size kettle? The big one looks really big on youtube.

And is it worth getting a Weber chimney specifically or can the el-cheapo chimneys be just as good? Thanks.
Beer! It's what's for dinner...

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
Re: Which chimney?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2019, 11:42:54 AM »
Buy the Weber.   It will last.  You’ll replace the cheap ones yearly if you use it a lot.  The Weber chimneys simply perform better too.   

You get what you pay for.

I have the small one and the big one.  The big one is best for a 22.  You don’t need to fill it up all the way.   In fact, I rarely do.  The small one is good for lighting coals for low and slow cooks or using the portable grills. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dogman

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2019, 11:47:38 AM »
Thanks for the help!

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2019, 11:48:47 AM »
You can also check out this thread from earlier in the week on a similar topic about quality.  On member mentioned he has a Weber one that is approaching 10 years old.  I bought many a cheapie one back in the day, they don't last. 

I've never had the smaller Weber one, so I can't speak to that.  I have placed significantly fewer coals in the large chimney & it worked fine for low & slow, so I'd get the bigger one (unless you only have one of the really little ones).

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/questionable-quality-of-my-chitty-chimney/

regards,
Hal

wgjones3

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2019, 11:53:12 AM »
I have the big one and it is just about right for my Jumbo Joe. The big chimney holds just about enough to fill up two Weber CharBaskets. I wouldn't want a smaller one for a 22" kettle or even an 18" kettle. You can alway add less coal to it if you find it holds too much. I even use the full-size with my Smokey Joe and fill it between 1/2 and 2/3, that works great for me on the 14" grill.

I had a smaller generic chimney for my Smokey Joe, and it worked pretty well at first, but the metal started rusting and flaking and eventually the stupid thing rusted in half at the joint where they welded it together. When I say it was generic, I mean it was a no-name, made-in-China, $5 special at Walmart.

I think I got about a year and a half of use out of the no-name before I decided to get a Weber chimney. This is my fourth year with the Weber chimney and it looks used, but not rusted or corroded or anything nasty like that cheap one.

dogman

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2019, 12:06:02 PM »
Thanks guys. I did see that other thread but isn't pretty much about everything made in China these days? I thought the Weber would be too.

The info about being enough to fill up the two charbaskets is a help. Thanks again!

Cellar2ful

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2019, 12:56:09 PM »

I have both size Weber chimneys.  They are about 5-6 years old and look the same as they did after several uses the first week. No rust, just discoloration of the chimney itself from heat.   The large size is perfect for lighting charcoal on a 22" or 26".  The smaller size is perfect for lighting charcoal on a 18", SJ or for starting a WSM. The small one holds about 32-35 briquettes max.  The large size can easily hold 75-80 briquettes.

In response to your question @dogman , I would recommend you purchase the regular (larger) size one.  The smaller one will not hold enough charcoal for a 22" kettle.  Here is a chart from my 1980's Weber owners manual with the recommended charcoal usage for each size kettle (SJ, 18", 22" & 26").  Most folks use way more charcoal than is needed.

"Chasing Classic Kettles"

dogman

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2019, 12:58:55 PM »
Thanks @Cellar2ful this is good info. Great forum, thanks to everyone!

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2019, 06:49:49 PM »
If you are on the fence about buying one (or think you need more than one) you could probably find a close out next winter on the cheap.  I picked up a few of them a few months ago for $4 a piece at Wal-Mart
ISO: 18" & 22" Lime, 22" Cado, Plum SSP, Clean & Colored 18" for Midget Mod, and the usual Grails.

dogman

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2019, 09:56:47 PM »
Yeah well it's been a few decades since I saw a WalMart. Moved across the world a few times and the last few places have made it real expensive to buy American. Sometimes it's not available at all. We do have Weber Master dealers here but it ain't cheap!

AZ Monsoon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2019, 07:35:46 AM »
They really do last. I think I bought this one in 2005, use it all the time and it's spent it's whole life outside.

YardBurner

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2019, 01:15:49 PM »
Grab as big a tin can as you can find.
Cut the top and bottom out and light 'er up.

Just lift it off the coals with some pliers or welding gloves.

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2019, 04:10:02 PM »
Many local pizza places wind up using very large cans of tomato sauce, tomato paste & canned olives that they are happy to get rid of when they are empty.  They might even be a bit bigger than the large cans of coffee (assuming they still sell them in large cans and not just the plastic tubs).

Grab as big a tin can as you can find.
Cut the top and bottom out and light 'er up.

Just lift it off the coals with some pliers or welding gloves.
regards,
Hal

dogman

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2019, 03:51:11 AM »
Thanks guys :)

Marzipan

• WKC Brave
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2019, 09:22:00 AM »
lots of you suggested using a giant can. any of you using a giant can? if so, please share what it looks like!
Power Corrupts, But Absolute Power Is Kinda Cool!