Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: This weekend, a fellow member mentioned he really believes in kettle karma..  (Read 810 times)

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
On Saturday, I talked to a local member.  We talked about a number of things & I wound up thanking him again for something he gave me some time back, mentioned that I wound up not needing it & asked if I return it or pass it on when someone else needs it. 
He said just pass it on, & mentioned that he truly believe in kettle karma & mentions a couple instances where he feels he experienced it.  At some point we also talked about occasional weird pricing in listings for used modern items, including USED charcoal chimney listings for $10, $12 or even $15.  He even mentioned some verbiage I recognized from one of these ads.  I had a number of them from kettle purchases that I made and mentioned I had at least a couple extra I'd probably wind up giving away as selling them seems kind of silly when a new one isn't really that really that expensive anyway.

On Sunday, I saw what I found to be a very interesting listing & contacted them, hoping that because of mother's day, not too many people noticed the listing already.  Didn't hear back from them, so I figured it was gone. 

Early this morning, a new member posted about cheap (non-Weber) chimneys.  He mentioned that he would probably go out & buy a Weber one.  I said that if he was in the Chicago area, I'd give him one the next time he passes through my area, if he wants one & doesn't feel the need to rush out & get one.  I don't know IF he is in the Chicago area, or IF he is even going to take me up on the offer if he is.  At the time I made the offer, it didn't even register that I'd recently had a conversation with another member where we discussed BOTH kettle karma & charcoal chimneys (almost spooky).

Several hours AFTER I posted my offer of a free Weber charcoal chimney, the seller contacted me back.  When I picked up the item, she indicated the reason it took her so long to get back to me was because she was trying to go in order, but the first person (possibly more, I wasn't certain) she contacted back had not responded to her, so she moved on & contacted me.  WOOT!

I wound up scoring an 18" CNT, an 18 kabob ring w/3 of the 4 original skewers, & the smaller vintage Weber rib rack that fits the 18.  Oh, yeah, there was also an 18 MBH ww with charcoal fences or whatever they are called.

Now, I'm beginning to wonder what I have to give away, or at least offer to, to get a sweet deal on one of those chromeveil customs (or whatever those ones with the squiggly lines are called).
« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 07:26:57 PM by PotsieWeber »
regards,
Hal

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
Years ago a watch repairman once told me something (a proverb from his home country) that has always stuck with me: "If you give a basket of fruit at the river, you'll get it back in the desert."

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
That is a very cool saying.
regards,
Hal

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
Congrats on those accessories.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
Thank you.  They are the first 18" accessories that I've stumbled across (at least that I was able to get anyway).  I'm pretty excited, especially because of the skewers.  I have a 22 kabob ring without skewers, so it is nice to see what they look like in person (instead of just pictures). 

Does anyone know if the 22" kabob skewers differ only in length (compared to the 18") or if they were also made from a larger gauge stainless because of the longer span & additional weight (because more food could be loaded on them)?
regards,
Hal

CatskillSmoker

• WKC Performer
To truly give, you  freely give expecting nothing in return. That's KARMA
Expecting something in return is not.

Kneab

• WKC Performer
It was good talking with you the other day Potsie.
Congrats on the weathered warrior and all of the accessories.
I have a couple of 22" kabob sets. I have not seen an 18" but I think that the skewers are probably the same thickness. The 22's bow a little bit when they are loaded up.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

ISO Brown Go Anywhere

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
I know, I know, I just thought it was funny to suggest that I'm purposely trying to give something away in the hopes of somehow getting what I consider one of the coolest kettles and there are a LOT of cool kettles.

regards,
Hal

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer

Right. I wasn’t suggesting give to get (like an exchange rate) More so if everyone gives freely, then that giving spirit will come back to you from somewhere in a time of need. That’s how I took his advice to mean.

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
Mike, I'm guessing he was referring to the end of my post (which I meant as a joke), when I said, "Now, I'm beginning to wonder what I have to give away, or at least offer to, to get a sweet deal on one of those chromeveil customs (or whatever those ones with the squiggly lines are called)."

Right. I wasn’t suggesting give to get (like an exchange rate) More so if everyone gives freely, then that giving spirit will come back to you from somewhere in a time of need. That’s how I took his advice to mean.

regards,
Hal

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
@Kneab (Karl),
It was great talking to you this weekend too.  It still cracks me up that our discussion included both kettle karma & Weber charcoal chimneys & then this happened.  Almost spooky. 

I'm going to get some pics of the 18" skewers & dimensions for someone who pm'd me about them & will wind up posting too, so that people using search can find it. 

I also acquired a 22" kabob ring some time ago, but no skewers, so I might bug you to bring your skewers along when we get together for a beer one of these days.  While I've seen pics of them & some dimensions on handle length & blade length, I'd like to see if the blades are basically the same.  I kind of doubt I'll get around to replicating them any time soon, but you never know.  I'm hoping to start out just by acquiring something reasonably close (as far as blades anyway) for the time being.

It was good talking with you the other day Potsie.
Congrats on the weathered warrior and all of the accessories.
I have a couple of 22" kabob sets. I have not seen an 18" but I think that the skewers are probably the same thickness. The 22's bow a little bit when they are loaded up.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
regards,
Hal

CatskillSmoker

• WKC Performer
No disrespect meant. Just my .02 . Grill on!