Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Adding SJ Gold vents to a SJ silver  (Read 1968 times)

bryanw21157

• WKC Ranger
Adding SJ Gold vents to a SJ silver
« on: June 08, 2013, 03:26:38 PM »
I have a sjs that I use mainly as a miniwsm.  I hate the fact that the bottom vent always gets clogged with ash on a long cook, and I was getting ready to go buy a SJ gold to eliminate this problem.  Then, while driving around today, I was brainstorming and had an epiphany:  why dont I just modify my sjs and add side vents?  After all, its only a matter of drilling some holes and putting the vents on.

Has anyone ever done this?

Thanks

Part 10 in this pic.  You can see where the additional holes in the bowl would need to be drilled

« Last Edit: June 08, 2013, 03:37:02 PM by bryanw21157 »
The only thing better than BBQ is more BBQ
Black Performer -- 18-1/2" Coca-Cola OTS -- Mini WSM -- 18-1/2" WSM -- 1997 Blue OTG -- 2014 Jumbo Joe / WSM

cbpeck

• WKC Ranger
Re: Adding SJ Gold vents to a SJ silver
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2013, 03:48:57 PM »
It could certainly be done, but your sjs will never be the same, and a new sjg isn't that expensive. I would probably just buy the sjg, even if it means selling the sjs.

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2013, 04:07:21 PM »
Here's the one I did a year or so ago....

It was a little difficult to get the holes lined up, but really no issue at all...
Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2013, 04:37:09 PM »
Just curious Brian, do you ever use or really even need a mini? I'm just asking because smoking in the kettle is so much easier. Otherwise a wsm if you are going to smoke that much. I have a mini that I never use. It was fun for a few cooks and but I found the kettle to be way easier for the average slow cook. For taking it along that might be a different story, but I find I really don't need to slow cook on vacations. Grilling seems to be just fine with an 18 or regular sj.

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2013, 05:27:26 PM »
Mine is for sure up for trade, if anyone is interested.....My 18'5 WSM is more that enough for me.  And I only use it for a lark once in a while....I got it for $35 so it really cost me nothing....

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2013, 05:33:10 PM »
Thanks, like the one I just grabbed for 45. I'm going to hang onto it for a while in case I need to do a larger cook this summer. For anything smaller the kettle will work. In the 26 I can also fit a boatload of food if it's set up right. The wsm can be fun sometimes though.

HankB

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2013, 05:40:46 PM »
What did you use to make the holes? Lineup looks spot on.
kettles, smokers...

Bman

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2013, 08:23:42 PM »
Instead of adding additional holes, why not combat the ash problem with an ash blocker?  I'm on the iPad, but I'll see if I can find my mini build thread.

I use the shit out of my mini as I find temp control with a OT a PITA

Edit - found it - http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/finally-built-my-miniwsm/

I used this because I had it readily available.  Why not the dog dish with holes in the side or a sink strainer?  For shorter cooks, I don't think one is needed at all.  But a long smoke, then yes.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2013, 08:35:24 PM by Bman »
I've always had gas...  And now a bunch of kettles because of this place.  Thanks!

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2013, 10:24:32 PM »
I never use it so the ash problem is never really a problem at all....If anyone is interested in this, I can bring it to the meet up....

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2013, 10:26:50 PM »
Oh and I just drew on the kettle where i wanted the holes, I drilled a small hole in the center and then a step drill for the holes...