Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Who makes the best tools?  (Read 917 times)

S!LVER

• Smokey Joe
Who makes the best tools?
« on: April 02, 2019, 09:15:05 AM »
Im interested in getting a new set of tools.  I started with a simple google search and everything I found was cheap stamped metal looking thingys.  Then I started looking for the small niche companies.  Came across these guys

https://lamsonproducts.com/collections/barbeque-tools

look pretty nice anyone used them?

What are some other high end tools you guys know of? 

WhaleinaTeardrop

• WKC Brave
Re: Who makes the best tools?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2019, 11:13:19 AM »
All-Clad makes a set that retails for for $120+; I managed to pick a set at HomeGoods for less than $30.

CurtP

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2019, 11:39:59 AM »
I've been going through this, but on a slightly different level:  http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/looking-for-new-bbq-toolset/

Most are made in of China, including All-Clad and Wusthof.  What I don't like about the ones you linked (which was a recommendation in my thread) is the wood handles.  I want to be able to run them through the dishwasher on the sanitary cycle, and you can't do that with wood handles.  Might not be an important issue for you.  Being made in China might not be a concern for you either.  If it isn't I'd recommend going to your local restaurant supply store.  They have large, heavy duty tongs, spatulas and serving forks for cheap.  Not the best, but they're cheap enough that replacing them every year or 2 isn't a big deal.

I opted to go with a Dexter Sani-safe burger turner (made in USA and NSF certified) and a pair of Swiss made 14 1/4" cooking tweezers from AGRussel.  I didn't get a fork - I've had them before and never once used them.  The Wusthof set I bought are being shipped back this week.

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2019, 12:49:09 PM »
Go to a restaurant supply store. They will have all sort of spatulas, tongs...

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2019, 01:25:28 PM »
Go to a restaurant supply store. They will have all sort of spatulas, tongs...

^^THIS^^

I hate ordering things like this over the internet. You need to touch and feel what they really are. Do they fit your hands, fit your needs? You can't tell that by a picture on the internet. JMHO
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2019, 05:12:00 AM »
OXO makes good stuff in my opinion. 

RemoGaggi

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2019, 05:36:02 AM »
To me, my choice of tools are those that are most comfortable and easy to use.  Sometimes the cheaper tongs are better than the big heavy duty ones because the cheaper ones are less fatiguing when you're flipping a lot of meat.  As suggested above, there's a lot of stuff at restaurant stores that should work great for you. 
18" Middy & 26" Kettle, SnS, Summit S-620, Broilmaster D3CP

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2019, 02:45:55 PM »
Out of curiosity, does anyone use those pigtail hook flipper things?
regards,
Hal

smittydog27

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2019, 06:00:41 PM »
My buddy uses a pig tail. I think he does it to be contrary. I don’t see the point. I use a 10 year old pair of Weber Style tongs. Love them. Heavy duty. Like them so much I bought another set last month on eBay for 16 bucks as a second set for my camper. Also have USA made commercial spatulas for grilling, smash burgers. Lifetime warranty as well.

foshizzle

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2019, 10:40:02 PM »

Out of curiosity, does anyone use those pigtail hook flipper things?
They’re really nice and come in handy when flipping steaks or chicken. Tongs will sometimes mess up the nicely laid down dry rub or rip the chicken skin and the pig tail solves all that.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

qrczak1

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2019, 01:48:20 AM »
To me, my choice of tools are those that are most comfortable and easy to use.  Sometimes the cheaper tongs are better than the big heavy duty ones because the cheaper ones are less fatiguing when you're flipping a lot of meat.  As suggested above, there's a lot of stuff at restaurant stores that should work great for you.
+1. Bought few cheap no name SS tongs for approx. $7 / pcs. They are light, easy to use and durable. I don't need any expensive, difficult to operate and heavy stuff

wgjones3

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2019, 07:50:23 AM »
Most of my grilling is on a portable grill, so that makes a difference. I have two sets of vintage tools, (one from the '60s and another from the '80s), but most of the time I use either a large Rada spatula or an old pair of canning tongs. I love the Rada spatula because it's thin and has a little bit of flex but it still feels sturdy. An added bonus, it's made in the USA. I wouldn't do smash-burgers with it though.