Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Red 26er restoration help  (Read 908 times)

1spacemanspiff

• WKC Ranger
Red 26er restoration help
« on: March 27, 2019, 12:52:55 PM »
Hey guys, i'm looking for help to restore the 26.  The rear handle is bent as is the front leg, I'd also like to remove the old touch up paint.  Thanks in advance
ISO Yellow Offset SJ, Yellow ranger

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
Re: Red 26er restoration help
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2019, 01:47:14 PM »
Someone else has mentioned, in other threads, that there are some aluminum shower curtain rods at Home Depot that are the right size & look identical to what Weber uses for the legs.  I'm assuming the 26" are the same diameter tubing.  I'd consider just cutting one of those down to size & then save the original leg for the heck of it or until inspiration struck.  If you can't find it, let me know & I'll take a look if someone doesn't point to it first.

While I have never tried it, some have mentioned having some success carefully bending a handle back into shape (although you can get porcelain chipping off).  If memory serves, the thread was NOT about a MBH though.  Personally, I'd probably leave it alone & just keep it "in back". 

Assuming you are not going to leave well enough alone, I would "invest" in a cheap black MBH & experiment with each of the two kettle handles before messing with that one. 

Good luck.
regards,
Hal

Cellar2ful

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2019, 02:03:05 PM »
The part @PotsieWeber mentioned above is a Glacier Bay 60" aluminum shower rod.  It is Home Depot SKU#1001227499   Model # HD14016.   They work perfectly for replacing front legs on kettles. 

Here is a link for the aluminum rods at Home Depot.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Glacier-Bay-60-in-Aluminum-Builders-Shower-Rod-in-Chrome-HD14016/205699635

Another option is to sleeve the old, dented aluminum leg with a section of copper tube.  Ramming a section of copper pipe into the leg will push out the dented area and if left in,  will keep the leg from folding at the injury point.  This method also solves loose leg syndrome.

« Last Edit: March 28, 2019, 08:37:44 AM by Cellar2ful »
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

crowderjd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2019, 02:06:41 PM »
Sidney, place a wooden block covered with a cloth on that bent handle, and GENTLY tap it back into place with a rubber mallet.  That should get it back in place.  I've moved many a handle with that trick, and recently did the same with the lid handle on my red Wood Dale.  Also, as for the paint, I believe any paint thinner/acetone should work to loosen or remove it, but don't quote me on that...congrats on the Aristocrat!  I don't remember seeing you pick this up in any earlier threads!
Chasing the impossibles: Westerner, Custom, Meat Cut!

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2019, 02:07:40 PM »
You could put a towel down on a concrete edge (like a curb or a walkway) turn the bowl upside down, and put that handle on the concrete edge...then gently push down. Unless the welds are really thin it should be fine.  The porcelain is already popped off around them so you don't need to worry about that.

1spacemanspiff

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2019, 03:05:59 PM »
@crowderjd I picked it up last night.  I thought it was the kettle that belonged to AS in SA.  He posted a red 26 with the sequoia that i have.  I thought it would be a neat story to reunite the two.  Planning on restoring both this Spring.

LiquidOcelot

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2019, 08:36:10 AM »
I use 1 inch galvanized pipe and love to straighten out my legs its a perfect fit for the inside of the legs. Also +1 block of wood and soft mallet taps for the handle

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

1spacemanspiff

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2019, 10:15:37 PM »
I purchased the copper pipe for the front leg, and will attempt to straighten the handle next week.  Currently in paint removal stage

Paul Isa

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2019, 05:57:09 PM »
That will be a fun restore.  Can’t wait to see the after pics.