Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Help with my next Weber purchase  (Read 1387 times)

FarmerQue

• Smokey Joe
Help with my next Weber purchase
« on: March 14, 2019, 07:15:25 AM »
Got my first 22" Kettle back in 2004 as a gift from my parents.  Big year it was.  Married, first born son that year.  Many fond memories surrounding that time.  Starting out grilling I committed plenty of "grill sins".  Started with lighter fluid and that special flavor it adds to food.  Eventually I graduated to Match Light charcoal thinking "WOW! That got the fire going fast."  Time to burn some burgers over direct heat for too long because I made those patties too thick so I'll flip them 45 times.  Burnt and over seasoned chicken anyone?  Even the scare of trichinosis caused me to ruin perfectly good pork chops almost every time they hit the grill.  Since then I've discovered the beauty of a chimney, indirect cooks, and reverse sear steaks.  I've even challenged myself this winter to trying ribs for the first time using this crazy thing called the snake method.  O how my grilling brain has expanded over the years.  I can't brag too much, I just bought my first set of Weber charcoal baskets last week. Ha!  But my mod game is growing, stuffed 3 racks of baby backs flat on the 22" with the help of a second raised 18" grate Tuesday night.  They turned out better than my first attempt.   

All this has come to a tipping point.  This grilling/smoking/bbq adventure has merged with the fact that my family has grown from one son in '04 to my wife and I expecting our 5th this June.  Indirect space is at a premium and often I find my steak going on last so the rest of the family can get fed first.  I need some input as I primarily grill, but am dabbling in smoking more and more.  I know I want to try my first brisket in the near future.  I've contemplated many of choices.  From the temporary period where I "needed" a Summit charcoal to buying a 22" Performer for the table but ignoring the fact it won't give me anymore grill room.  I even thought about buying a 22" WSM just because.

I've eliminated some of the "outlandish wants" and am focusing on the other "wants" that seem a little more justified.  I'll be keeping my original 22" Kettle.  Now for the options. 

I found a used Summit charcoal (not the grilling center) in my area for sale at a reasonable price.
My local Ace has a 26" Premium in stock. (can't seem to find 26" grills used often)
If I bought the Summit I probably wouldn't be looking to buy a smoker right away.  If I went the route of the 26" I may get a WSM in the future if I start to smoke more meats. 

For both I would be building a Performer like cart to set them in.  It would satisfy my desire for a table close to the grill and both choices would increase my cooking space.  And instead of buying a Blackstone I will be making a circular Mojoe style griddle that sits on top of whatever I buy. 

So, what say you?  Fire away.  I'm ready to upgrade and want to keep the initial purchase price within reason (depending on what model I'm looking at)

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
Re: Help with my next Weber purchase
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2019, 07:33:38 AM »
Without hesitation, go for the 26.  Why?  Tons of indirect space, portability, versatility, and lower price than the 22 WSM and the Summit.

You will not regret it.  Lots of space and you can do high heat, bake/roast, and low and slow. 

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2019, 07:34:46 AM »
For me, you cant go wrong with a 26, lots of room for Indirect/smoking. room for your whole meal for your whole family! I will never be without my 26

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2019, 07:55:47 AM »
Someone else on here has mentioned just removing the cover off a grill you are not using & using that as an extra work table.  Someone even got fancy and cut & stained wood to sit inside the kettle.  Obviously, you could cut a circle or square that would overhand & just put some wood blocks on the underside to fit in the kettle & prevent it from getting knocked off. 

Just giving you some ideas that would be less work.
regards,
Hal

FarmerQue

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2019, 08:04:14 AM »
Someone else on here has mentioned just removing the cover off a grill you are not using & using that as an extra work table.  Someone even got fancy and cut & stained wood to sit inside the kettle.  Obviously, you could cut a circle or square that would overhand & just put some wood blocks on the underside to fit in the kettle & prevent it from getting knocked off. 

Just giving you some ideas that would be less work.

That's a pretty handy idea.  Thanks for sharing.  I enjoy building things so the drop in cart is my dream scenario for this next purchase (I got hooked on the idea ever since I saw robert-r's 26" Performer XL) but this could really work well until I get that accomplished.   

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2019, 08:14:31 AM »
I've got an 22 inch with a table (a really nice red mist SSP).
But, after seeing someone else suggest it, I use sometimes use that method if I'm using a WSM or a grill.

I have an old 26, but can't advise because I haven't put it together & cooked on it yet.
regards,
Hal

avega2792

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2019, 09:53:06 AM »
26er without a doubt. Thats my next purchase right there, as well!

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2019, 09:57:26 AM »
26er without a doubt. Thats my next purchase right there, as well!
you won't regret the purchase
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

FarmerQue

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2019, 11:32:17 AM »
Thanks for the input so far.  The 26" seems to be a pretty popular grill.

I certainly have been leaning towards the 26" but the thought of the Summit possibly being a better cooker all around (and at a used price) had me debating. 

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2019, 01:30:22 PM »
I would say that it depends on the price of the Summit. Thing is... you can do anything on a Weber kettle. Sure sometimes more effort is involved, and perhaps grill space isn't there. But... at that point there are options.  Maybe use 2 kettles, maybe get a 26"... maybe a Summit. In the end you won't go wrong with a Weber. It's all about what works the best for you.

FarmerQue

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2019, 02:17:42 PM »
I would say that it depends on the price of the Summit. Thing is... you can do anything on a Weber kettle. Sure sometimes more effort is involved, and perhaps grill space isn't there. But... at that point there are options.  Maybe use 2 kettles, maybe get a 26"... maybe a Summit. In the end you won't go wrong with a Weber. It's all about what works the best for you.

I totally agree with you on Kettles.  They do many things well.  And if it wasn't for my larger family the 22" would be more than adequate.  The price of the Summit is still fairly considerable (compared to a new 26") equal to some of the newer Genesis gassers, but almost half what it would cost new so the option there is spurred on only by a used discounted price.  In the mid of winter a Summit would be a luxury but not something a 26" can't overcome without some extra work.

I think I know which way I am leaning, just wasn't sure if I was silly to pass up an opportunity to get the Summit instead.

As far as space is concerned for smoking I tried this out this week for ribs, will probably do something similar on a 26" with a 22" grate.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2019, 07:06:27 PM »
I haven’t tried a summit but a 26 is an absolute necessity and a great value in my book.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

rwalters

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2019, 08:23:23 PM »
I have owned and cooked on a good number of grills over the years... some being pretty darn nice. Out of all of the charcoal grills I have owned and cooked on, the 26.75 kettle has been my favorite. Simple, almost indestructible, big and it just works!

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2019, 10:28:30 PM »
Get the Charcoal Summit if the price is right. No need to buy 26er or  WSM. Indirect cooking space on the Summit is just as much if not more than 26er. Not to mention more fuel efficient cooker.

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2019, 03:32:37 AM »
Look into this:

https://smoke-ez.com/

I own two of them, and love them. Just increase the water pan size to an 18" stainless steel mixing bowl, fill with crumpled aluminum foil, and cover it with a sheet of aluminum foil, slightly dished to catch the drips. No water. Best rib makin' machine I have ever used. Best of all, you use it on your existing 22.  :)
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.