Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Finally got a cast iron grate for the 22 by way of StoK  (Read 1204 times)

Red_5_Wrangler

• WKC Ranger
Finally got a cast iron grate for the 22 by way of StoK
« on: March 13, 2019, 07:52:40 AM »
Guy posted a bunch of free stuff and then a BBQ lot for $20. I skipped past the free toys and wood chairs to the tall stok cover. He had
 the grill with grate and insert intact
Weber charcoal chimney
Veggie basket/beercan chicken insert
The rib rack/kabob rack
A full bag of Kings Blue
I handed him the 20 and he said "Are you sure you want it? I said yes and grabbed the charcoal and chimney and he says " I guess those are worth the 20..." I just kept loading.
[emoji15]  not sure what to do with the grill besides maybe give it away after a tune up but all the other stuff will get good use.

Can't wait to take my 1st Weber Performer offline and give it some attention and new parts along with the new grate.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

ISO - CMist Go Anywhere, the cheif, yellow

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
Re: Finally got a cast iron grate for the 22 by way of StoK
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2019, 08:10:12 AM »
I have that Stok grate in one of my 22"ers. LUV IT! :)
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

jacko1962

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2019, 10:50:58 AM »
Use the rest of the Stok as a dedicated pizza oven.
Weber Genesis 1000 Black with all red oak, 1992 Redhead Performer.  2014 18.5 black. 1985 Black GA

Looking for P code Red Premium Master touch and a EO code Blue Premium Master touch .

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2019, 11:12:04 AM »
Nice score for 20 bucks.

RottiGuy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2019, 11:42:05 AM »
Very cool!!

Sent from my SM-G950W using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2019, 02:32:34 PM »
It'd be interesting to see what a vortex can do in a stok. The stok grill has a conical kettle with a big-ass opening in the bottom that'll probly turbo the vortex. You'll need a cast iron fire grate to keep from having a melt down.
You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometimes you get what you need

Red_5_Wrangler

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2019, 03:19:26 PM »
I showed it to my buddy and he likes the idea of having it just cause I talk about Weber all the time. I think I will (test out a vortex cook) clean it, paint the legs florescent orange again and probably paint the bottom cabinet after sanding. Then give him my old GBS seeing I am stealing the cast iron.

AnyThingGrilled

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2019, 05:33:28 PM »
The CI grate is fantastic! I’ve had mine for years, probably don’t maintain it like I should and it always exceeds my expectations! Enjoy all the new toys!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2019, 06:35:30 AM »
For what it is worth, steel actually has a higher melting temperature than cast iron, but cast iron is pretty close to it.

It'd be interesting to see what a vortex can do in a stok. The stok grill has a conical kettle with a big-ass opening in the bottom that'll probly turbo the vortex. You'll need a cast iron fire grate to keep from having a melt down.
regards,
Hal

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2019, 04:15:40 AM »
The CI grate is fantastic! I’ve had mine for years, probably don’t maintain it like I should and it always exceeds my expectations! Enjoy all the new toys!

I love the Stok CI grate! I also have had mine for years, and it thrives on neglect. All I do is wire brush it before each use, fire up the coals and get the grate hot, then cook away. No one has died from this "cleaning" method...  :)
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 04:17:28 AM by hawgheaven »
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2019, 05:20:03 AM »
I’ve been snagging STOK’s just for the CI grates, chopping the bowls to fit on 15 Gallon Drums and repurposing the charcoal bowl for a Vortex

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

Red_5_Wrangler

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2019, 05:37:25 AM »
I’ve been snagging STOK’s just for the CI grates, chopping the bowls to fit on 15 Gallon Drums and repurposing the charcoal bowl for a Vortex

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

That's awesome

Mrnomad

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2019, 07:52:14 PM »
Inspired by your post, I found a $20 Stok on CL. A little out of the way but glad I grabbed it up. Guy said it was only a couple of years old and he bought a gas grill. Scavenged the grate and the handle, put it on the curb with an old Weber grate. Posted free bbq on CL. Someone picked it up within an hour or so. First cook , Ribeye, on the CI grates tonight. Fantastic!
11 kettles, 2 WSMs, and 1 lonely gas grill!

Mrnomad

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2019, 08:09:07 PM »
Here are a few pics. Keep an eye out for the Craftsman opener and tool set. Picked them up when our local Sears closed.

[attachment deleted by admin]
11 kettles, 2 WSMs, and 1 lonely gas grill!

Red_5_Wrangler

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2019, 05:53:53 AM »
Here are a few pics. Keep an eye out for the Craftsman opener and tool set. Picked them up when our local Sears closed.

Nice! Love the bottle opener too