Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Technical advice - Thermoworks Smoke  (Read 664 times)

Cellar2ful

Technical advice - Thermoworks Smoke
« on: February 19, 2019, 12:50:38 PM »

Using my 2 + year old Smoke last night on the rotisserie, I found my remote unit would not receive a signal from the main Smoke thermometer.  The Smoke worked fine, I just had to run out occasionally to check the temp.  Today I checked the Smoke owners manual and tried to sync both units again with no luck.  Neither unit had the low battery indicator showing so I called Thermoworks where I was transferred to their technical support division.  The tech advised me to remove the batteries from both units and let them sit for 5 minutes.  After the five minutes he said to put in a new set of batteries and try to sync the units again.  Just like that I was back in business with both units communication again. 

Just wanted to pass this information on in case anyone else with a Smoke unit encounters the same problem.  If you don't have a Smoke or a Thermapen, I recommend you add them to your list of items to buy.   They are both fantastic products and have really elevated my culinary skills. 
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Technical advice - Thermoworks Smoke
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2019, 01:18:58 PM »
I too have lost sync same fix don't know why i didnt share it. I would say their products and service are excellent as well

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2019, 05:55:15 PM »
sounds about right..anytime issue with battery op device..

remove batteries ..let the unit shutdown and then insert new batts..solves a good amount of problems.

the mavericks have a sync process.where you have the turn on either the receiver or the base unit first to sync properly, else sync wont work..(forget the order.. i always figure it out when i end up using it).
Grills

CatskillSmoker

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2019, 02:11:15 AM »
Thanks for the advice Jim. Much appreciated.

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2019, 03:35:24 AM »
I use my Thermapens exclusively. I don't use remotes anymore. Never really trusted them or liked them... Just sayin'...
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2019, 04:15:44 PM »
Jim,

I had the same thing happen to me last summer, but it was the handheld that went out. It was instant. The handheld unit had power, but wouldn't "talk" to the main. Simply swapping the batteries in the handheld didn't do it. I found the answer online of removing the batteries and powering down both the main and handheld. They fired right back up in sync like yours did.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2019, 05:11:55 PM »
I bought a smoke. Excellent device. My main issue with it is I’m too lazy to get it out of the drawer. I called customer service but they weren’t helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2019, 02:53:07 AM »
I bought a smoke. Excellent device. My main issue with it is I’m too lazy to get it out of the drawer. I called customer service but they weren’t helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
You Funny, similar issue with me, which drawer did I put it in, any thoughts or tips?
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill